Re: Processor Overclocking? (615 Views)
Top Student
bellbottom1981
Message 1 of 4 (666 Views)

Processor Overclocking?

Hi, i have a hp processor chip 3 Ghz, 1 Mb L2 cache and 533 FSB( but works on only 133 FSB). Its a pinless processor of intel 523. Can this be overclocked not by increasing the Ghz speed, but can somehow FSB speed can be increased to 800 FSB atleast? Or will it make the system to heat and unstable? Whats the maximum limit to which this 3 Ghz chip can be increased/ overcloacked for optimum system performance?

--------------------------

kunal khan

Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 2 of 4 (644 Views)

Re: Processor Overclocking?

I don't think you can because of the locked motherboard HP bios which won't allow you change such things.

I myself have an elite hp desktop that came with an nvidia 680i motherboard but i'm replacing it with an aftermarket newer motherboard such as the 750i which allows me to overclock cpu and ram.

The other option is to flash your BIOS with an unlocked bios version but i wouln't do that since it can totally mess it up and prevent u from using the pc.

In your case i would buy myself a newer better motherboard/cpu combo.

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 3 of 4 (634 Views)

I assume you are talking about an Intel 775 processor.  While the CPU probably would survive OK, HP motherboards are pretty hard to overclock.  If your present FSB is 553, then you are not going to get it up to 800, even if the motherboard will support it.  It will look at the CPU and set the FSB from that spec.  And the CPU would not survive that big of a change.  Overclockers rarely get more than 10% without extreme measures for cooling.
{---------- Please click the "White Kudos" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 4 of 4 (615 Views)

It's easy to overclock a CPU by 35-90% if you have the right combo of MB/CPU/RAM.  I would also invest in a decent $20-$30 heat pipe CPU cooler.  If the old HP does not provide sufficient speed to run your application, then build another rig.

A basic Intel 775 core 2 board and CPU will set you back about $150.  The E5200 should be able to hit 3.4-3.6GHz without much fuss on DDR2 5300 RAM.  At this speed, performance will be a little faster than the E8400 at stock 3.0GHz.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation