Question

Student
mawut
Message 1 of 17 (43,705 Views)

SMART Hard Disk Error

I bought my HP dv7t notebook PC from HP in December 2008. Recently in February this year during one of the booting sessions the following message was displayed on a black screen:

The SMART hard disk check has detected an imminent failure. To ensure no data loss, please backup the content immediately and run the Hard Disk Test in System Diagnostics.

I have run the Hard Disk Test in System Diagnostics several times and the Hard Disk has passed the test each time, indicating that there is no problem with the disk, according to HP Customer Care. HP Customer Care further states that when the disk passes the test the following should be done:

On boot, press f10 to access BIOS setup, and then press f9 to load the default BIOS configuration. This action restores your BIOS to its factory-recommended settings.

I have done that several times but each time the notebook boots up the same message of '...imminent failure' comes up and I have to press ENTER before booting continues.

How can I stop this '...imminent failure' message from popping up during booting. Can someone help.

MAWUT

Tutor
Nakatomi_Uk
Message 2 of 17 (43,659 Views)

Re: SMART Hard Disk Error

I am currently having the same issue with a HP S7510.Uk machine it had a 200GB Seagate Barracuda drive in it and the BIOS now says the same message I bought a 80GB SATA Westerns Digital HDD to replace it and it says the same thing yet on a Seagate 40GB SATA Laptop HDD no issues I am currently running a freeware disc check called EMSA will let you know on the results. I have not tried the BIOS reset frankly I doubt that will work SMART cannot be disabled and I have to press F2 all the time to carry on the Windows XP Pro SP3 install went smoothly no BSOD's hopefully it's just a error on SMART it's self.
Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 3 of 17 (43,635 Views)

Download and install PC Wizard.  You can find it here:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/System/System-Enhancements/Portable-PC-Wizard.shtml

Or you can look for it at your favorite download place.  

After it installs, tun the program.  It will look over all your hardware and give you its opinion on the how things are doing.  Click on the drives section and then double click the drive that is giving you this SMART message.  It will give you all the data that is coming from the SMART information to indicate just what is wrong or close to failure.  There are many things that can cause the warning you are getting.  If the drive is really about to fail, I am sure you want to backup everything before it does.  Something like Aconis True Image can make a clone of the drive before it fails and you will not lose anything.  Assuming you buy a new drive and put the clone info on it.  Good luck

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Student
Asianmonstersss
Message 4 of 17 (38,997 Views)

I have a hp mini and my laptop also says

The smart hard disk check has detected an imminent failure. To ensure not data loss, please backup the content immediatly and run the Hard Disk Test in System Diagnostics.

I don't have any f keys. What do I do?

And if I press enter it will say

Boot device not found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk.

Hard disk (3F0)

F2 System Diagnostics

I tried going to the website www.hp.com\go\techcenter\startup but it said the website was not availible. I'm on a different computer. Please help I gave all the details I can.

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 5 of 17 (38,995 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello All, It has been my experience when this error message is displayed, the hard drive is failing.

It may pass a hardware test, but if the message persist, I would suggest replacing the hard drive as soon as possible.

I have encountered this on quite a few HP/Compaq Laptops with Seagate hard drives and new hard drives corrected the issue. I have about ten of these hard drives in my drawer right now that display this message and I replaced them with new hard drives and the message no longer appears.

At some point, I may try and determine what is causing this error message and repair the hard drives if possible, but have not had the time as yet.

Just some thoughts.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Student
GTRXU1
Message 6 of 17 (37,917 Views)

YOU CAN USE A USB HARD DRIVE IM USEING VERBATIM MODEL#47560 CHEAPER THAN A NEW DRIVE JUST TAKE IT APART DISGARD USB BOARD AND JUST PLUG IN HOPE IT HELPS. I HAVE A HP CQ61-406TU AND IT HELPED 

Student
precious30s
Message 7 of 17 (35,957 Views)

What can i do if i cant log onto my computer to get online. I tried the f10 but it alwasys frezzes on the hard disk scan. I want to use my recovery disk but it wont start up...PLEASE HELP!

Honor Student
fixmycomputerrr
Message 8 of 17 (35,907 Views)

I am having the same problem as all of these people, but when I hit enter to continue startup, the computer restarts and i get the message again. This repeats an indefinant number of times. I'm going to continue searching around to try to figure this out.

Honor Student
fixmycomputerrr
Message 9 of 17 (35,905 Views)

I'm using the same type of computer as you, and I think I just figured out the problem, and by the way, you do have f keys. there on the top were it shows buttons like pause stop fast forward etc. I hit Esc on startup and it took me to the page were i can get to my BIOS. after that i hit F9 and accepted to reload the original BIOS. then i hit f10 to save. after that I hit f2 on the page you mentioned and ran a startup test. the only problem i have atm is it says there is no hard disk installed.

Honor Student
Vikas_2323
Message 10 of 17 (34,320 Views)

Replace your laptop

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation