Question

Honor Student
GPS-Tech
Message 1 of 5 (210 Views)
Accepted Solution

Video driver not updating to most current version... Help with troubleshooting please...

Hello and good day, group... We have a few CQ4010F desktops here. I've been recently pushing Windows updates and now one PC (1PWC) has a lower version video driver on it. The PC I'm comparing (0SDQ) is fine for video with full 1920x1080 available and Acer E211H showing for monitor. For PC with the issue, the resolution won't max (stuck @ 1600)  and the display shows generic. The goal is to get (1PWC) to full resolution and correct monitor please.

Here's the specs for both as both machines are identical for Prod#:

Models: CQ4010F,Prod#NY650AA-ABA,Win7 SP1 (after windows updates),64bit, stock 4GB ram load, stock video NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430...

I compared the drivers and they don't match when comparing machines:

- (1PWC) has; NVIDIA, 5/14/2009, ver. 8.15.11.8593, signed MS Windows

- (0SDQ) has; NVIDIA, 4/1/2010 (newer date), ver. 8.17.11.9739 (newer ver.) , signed MS Windows HW Compatibility Publisher  <--- Want please!!! ;o)

I can't get the newest driver to load on to the PC with the issue. For troubleshooting I've pushed Windows driver updates on (1PWC) several times. They all say that the driver is current? I did an Update driver... process also with the system reporting the driver is current when it isn't.  I went to the NVidia Driver Downloads site and had the NVidia tell me the correct driver is installed, when it isn't. Interesting the Nvidia java GPU reading tool stated Unknown for the video card GPU product on the issue PC? The "good" PC reports the correct product off the GPU scan and even offers to update to a more current Nvidia driver. I've also way before this done the rip the whole video driver out and load a basic 640x480 driver, then boot to safe-mode and reload the correct driver. But I don't know if I did the steps basic video driver load fix method correct.

Hope this wasn't too verbose. I'm running 'round the rabbit hole on this one and any feedback or trouble shooting tips would be great. Be advised this is the PC with the wonky mobo NVIDIA North/South bridge chipset that has USB issues also.

Thank you-

/wf

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 2 of 5 (183 Views)

Video driver not updating to most current version... Help with troubleshooting please...

Hello GPS-Tech,

Since the tool states the video card as unknown it's not going to find an up to date driver because it doesn't know what to look for, just as well as microsoft update assumes the driver is up to date since it has no clue what driver to get.

Your best option is to manually install the driver by going to NVIDIA's website manually looking up the video card and installing the driver.

I believe this is the correct driver
http://goo.gl/67li4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Honor Student
GPS-Tech
Message 3 of 5 (176 Views)

Re: Video driver not updating to most current version... Help with troubleshooting please...

Thx HardBeatZ, I've caught some of the flu that's going around. When I'm in the office next week I'll DL and test.
Honor Student
GPS-Tech
Message 4 of 5 (159 Views)

Solved, good result... Installed 020712 driver...

Thx to HardBeatZ... I had seen situations were Windows Update actually broke the video driver or offered a lower than current version for install. On the box I was updating for some reason, the GPU didn't want to report itself to NVidia either complicating things. The new 2/7/2012 NVidia drivers are loaded and work champ on the box @ 1920x1200. No fancy stuff needed, just DL and run.

I'll be carefull with future Windows Update offerings if MS, HP or whoever is offering hasn't rolled the offered driver to a newer version to avoid this in the future.

Cheers all... /wf

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 5 of 5 (156 Views)

GPS-Tech,

Glad to hear the driver worked for you and that you are over the flu :smileyhappy:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation