Question

Honor Student
passantes
Message 1 of 3 (130 Views)

p6-2317c -- computer has power but doesn't turn on

In the last few weeks, I've increasingly had the same problem and cannot figure out how to troubleshoot.

When I turn on the PC (or reboot from within Windows 8), the blue power light comes on and the initial boot noises occur, but then nothing happens. The monitor doesn't seem to get video, and th eamber hard disk light just to the left of the power button does not light up. There are no noises coming from the computer.

The only way I've found to get around this is to turn the computer off (by holding down the power button) and try again. It's usually 6-8 tries before I manage to get the computer up and running again.

I've fully updated the drivers -- and I've NOT upgraded to Windows 8.1. Windows Update finds no needed updates. This seems like it has to be a hardware issue.

Any ideas? I did download the "Computer Does Not Start (Windows 8)" document from HP and will try eliminating possibilities through that. 

Any help would be much appreciated!

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 3 (115 Views)

Re: p6-2317c -- computer has power but doesn't turn on

Hi,

What modifications have you made to your PC?

Please post your results after you complete all of the steps and procedures listed in the posted HP document.

Unplug the PC and hold down the power button for 60 seconds and now power up.  If the that works then power down.  Now try to power up.

If you still have the same issue then try Clearing the CMOS.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
passantes
Message 3 of 3 (86 Views)

Re: p6-2317c -- computer has power but doesn't turn on

Update: After calling tech support and performing a number of troubleshooting steps, they've determined there's a hardware failure and are bringing it in for service. I suspect motherboard issues, but that's pure speculation.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation