Question

Top Student
bigteggy
Message 1 of 8 (33,093 Views)

Boot Disk Failure, Insert System Disk and Press enter

[ Edited ]

My Problem is that when I start up my computer, it brings up the blue "HP" screen with options of "ESC-Boot Menu"  "f10-Settings" and "f11-System Recovery". If I do not press any of these options it takes a long time, but eventually brings up a line of text that says "Boot Disk Failure, Insert System Disk and Press enter."

I would like to point out, that when go into the BIOS setup, I does not show the Hard Drive. It shows up blank, where as the other inputs say "none".  I have tried unplugging the hard drive and then starting up the computer. When  I do this the spot where the hard drive is usually  says "none." But when I plug the hard drive back in, it shows up as blank. 

Computer background- 

Computer- HP Pavilion a6357c Desktop PC 

OS- Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit 

Hard drive- Western Digital 

RAM- 3 GB

I have tried many different things. 

I have tried resetting the bios to default settings and then doing a cold start. 

I have tried pressing F8 during the blue HP screen, but that only worked once. It brought windows up totally normal. But since that one time, I have never been able to bring it up that way again. 

I have replaced the CMOS battery, but not success. 

One time, I was able to use the system recovery disk, and get into windows normally. The disks were made from the system recovery partition, ( after the computer was bought), but never able to repeat it. 

One of the two times I brought it up, I looked at the event log, and it said that there was a critical error, Event 41 Kernel-Power. Over this past weekend, there was a series of power lows. In addition, the computer was hooked up to a battery back up (BACK-UPS es 750). It installed a program (APC Powerchute) that was designed to safely power down the system in the event of a power loss. Could that program have a caused this to happen? 

In addition, I have been reading the about the computer with this issue, and it brought up a warning certain hard drives (seagate) and how they could potentially cause a  hard drive crash.  (article- http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01676224&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=365...) While, when I looked inside of the computer it said that it was a western digital hard drive.  Could this have been the cause of my problems? 

Thank you all for reading this much. I hope you can help. 

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 8 (33,087 Views)

Re: Boot Disk Failure, Insert System Disk and Press enter

I have the same APC ES 750 but I don't use power chute.  I don't believe that is the problem. If you can get into the bios then run some bios boot diagnostics and see what the results are.  It's not a good sign when the bios can't see the hard drive.  You might try moving the hard drive sata cable over one port and try to boot from that port. Hit the ESC key at the HP blue screen to select the boot device.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Grad Student
Ben95111
Message 3 of 8 (33,040 Views)

My issue is resolved, but i'm bringing it up as a reference.

One morning, when i booted it up i got "Disk read error. Press any key to reboot" or something similar to that.

I was running a backup and i put the Touchsmart flat on its monitor and heard a weird grinding noise, and immediately placed it in its regular position.

I rebooted because the backup failed.

Now, i used my recovery discs to get into windows, success.

i made a backup asap.

thing is, you have to go into your BIOS and change the boot order.

It should be:

1.Hard Disk

2.Floppy

3.CD Drive

and so on.

I don't remember how exactly i fixed it. either i changed the BIOS boot order or it magically disappeared.

Hope this helps.

I have more HP devices than you'd expect.
1 HP TouchPad 32 GB with Android
2 HP Touchsmarts (310-1000z and IQ527)
2 HP Printers (J6480 and J5750)
1 Laptop (HP DV6253CL)

Have at least some experience in each of those devices, and i'll do my best to help you.
Kudos if I helped!
Top Student
bigteggy
Message 4 of 8 (32,813 Views)

I solved this problem. My solution was to install a brand new hard drive. After I did this, i used the system recovery disks and brought it back to out of the box condition. 

Grad Student
Ben95111
Message 5 of 8 (32,794 Views)

That could be another solution.

I would have recommended backing it up when you got into the system but...

it's sort of too late, dont'cha think?

well, I'm glad the problem is resolved :smileyvery-happy:

I have more HP devices than you'd expect.
1 HP TouchPad 32 GB with Android
2 HP Touchsmarts (310-1000z and IQ527)
2 HP Printers (J6480 and J5750)
1 Laptop (HP DV6253CL)

Have at least some experience in each of those devices, and i'll do my best to help you.
Kudos if I helped!
Student
2010eaperez
Message 6 of 8 (31,850 Views)

what shood i do

Student
Rick5472
Message 7 of 8 (27,212 Views)

I have a M9500f Pavilion desktop that is experiencing this failure upon reboot or start-up.  If I press ctr+alt+del the computer continues to boot and load Windows 7.  I have not changed any hardware or messed with the bios.  This has just recently happened and would like to know if there is anything I can do to fix or eliminate this error and have the PC boot normally?

Top Student
kalgacal113
Message 8 of 8 (7,755 Views)

Ben95111 wrote:

That could be another solution.

I would have recommended backing it up when you got into the system but...

it's sort of too late, dont'cha think?

well, I'm glad the problem is resolved :smileyvery-happy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation