Can't access Boot menu (16571 Views)
Honor Student
Ionko
Message 1 of 8 (16,571 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can't access Boot menu

I have a HP Pavilion m7590n. It's been in light home use for about 4 years and finally the master hard drive died.  I figured I'd put in a new disk and while I'm at it set up windows 7 as well. 

The problem is that none of the keyboard F keys seem to work. I can't access any of the bios settings or the boot menu so i can boot from a CD.

The blue HP screen states that esc=Boot Menu F1=Setup F10=System Recovery

None of those keys work. I've tried every single other F key with no sucess and for a measure of good faith 4 different keyboards including the USB one that came with the computer. Any idea what's wrong? Or what I'm doing wrong?

I just need to boot from the windows 7 CD so i can install the operating system on the new Hard Drive.

Thanks for any help on the topic.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 8 (16,566 Views)

Re: Can't access Boot menu

Hi,

Try clearing the CMOS.

Be sure to disconnect all devices except the monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Are you using a USB, wireless or PS2 keyboard?  There is a possibility that your might need a PS2 connected keyboard.

Does the keyboard work when the hard drive is disconnected?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
Ionko
Message 3 of 8 (16,541 Views)

Thank you for the quick reply. I tried resetting the CMOS per instructions but that doesn't seem to have had any effect. 

Yes all devices except mouse,keyboard and monitor have been unplugged since I started.

3 of the keyboards I tried are PS2, and I've used 2 of those keyboards to do the same procedures on other computers before so I'm not sure that the problem lies in the keyboard.  The other keyboard is a wireless one that came with the PC, but that didn't work either as I assumed it won't work but worth a try anyways.

I took out the HDD from my eMachine and tried to see if the keyboard work without it and it does, no problems accessing the bios there.

I did a little test and put the HDD from my emachine into the HP, which coincidentaly is the same model of western digital to see if my HP will go past the blue screen but it didn't.

Could ther be something wrong with the motherboard? But that seems unlikley since before i switched out the HDD i'd sometimes get the blue HP screen and sometimes get the BIOS bad disk error. I didn't think to pay much attention to it because it never occured to me that I won't be able to access bios or the boot menu.

Thanks again.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 4 of 8 (16,534 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

You might check the hard drive and see if there is a strap/jumper that will set the sata speed to sata 1 (1.5).  Some sata hard drives will automatically down shift and some need a strap/jumper change.

You might also try a different sata port on the motherboard.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Touchpad
Honor Student
Ionko
Message 5 of 8 (16,525 Views)

I've tried all the sata ports and nothing changes. I've pretty much done every combimation i can think and still can't get past the blue HP screen or access bios. 

The HDD is a Western Digital WD2500JS identical to the original HDD of the computer. There is a jumper port but no pastic connector (or any indication what the ports might do) 

I tried taking out all the HDDs and put in a trusty old Seagate ATA drive with the jumpers set to "Master or single Drive" per driver instuctions. Still nothing.

It's frustrating because if there was any change or error messages maybe i can try to trouble shoot one step at a time bus no matter what i do I can't get past the what seems the HP blue screen of death.

Out of curiosity on a related subject should't I be able to access bior or atleast POST without a Hard Drive?

Thanks

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 6 of 8 (16,505 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

You should be able to access the bios without a hard drive.  I have disabled sata ports in the bios for hard drives and I can still access the bios.

Try this procedure:

Unplug the PC and open it up. Clean out all the dust. Carefully remove and replace all the cables going to the motherboard one at a time. Do the same for the memory dimms and the video and sound cards if you have any.  You might want to buy a can of compressed air to blow the dust out of the CPU heat sink.  Plug your PC back in and give it a go.

Try this procedure and see if you can isolate the issue. Trouble Shooting Power Supply Issues. Don’t skip any steps.

HP Touchpad
Honor Student
Ionko
Message 7 of 8 (16,498 Views)

Hi again, 

I've already dusted and cleaned everything out. 

As soon as I opened up the case the other day I cleaned out all the dust and clean all the connections but that wasn't the problem.

It seems there is an issue with the ram sticks.  It seems one of the sticks wasn't working and was causing the problem.  Due to having exhaused all options known to me I tired booting the PC without any ram and without a graphics card. And to my suprise I didn't get any beep errors. I tried replacing each of those components in turn and it turned out to be a ram stick in slot 2. The one in slot 1 is working OK.  After checking the sticks on another PC it was the #2 slot on the motherboart rather than the stick it self.

I have no idea why this would be causing this problem but I moved the stick from the #2 slot to the #3 slot and now I can access the bios and boot settings. 

If I wasn't as stubborn as I am I'd probably never have figured this out. 

Once again thank you so much for all your help Dave, I really do appreciate your effort and I have learned some new things about jumpers in the process.

Thanks!

Tutor
Mitch206
Message 8 of 8 (4,954 Views)

Hey, I've been having the same annoying problem. I read what u did with the ram stick. Ill try that. But I have 4 slots and the all have ram sticks in them. Any suggestions on how I go about this?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation