Catalyst control centre:Host application has stopped working (39397 Views)
Top Student
Shenmue
Message 1 of 23 (39,397 Views)
Accepted Solution

Catalyst control centre:Host application has stopped working

I keep getting a window pop up saying: ''Catalyst control centre: host application has stopped working.''

In the body of the box it says: ''A problem caused the program to stop woring correctly. Windiows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.''

My PC is slow to respond, even web browsing. I have Microsoft security essentials and have run a full sweep. Nothing has beeb found. I check my GPU drivers and have updated to the latest.

I phoned HP tech support and was told that he thought my Hard drive was the problem. I spent 40 minutes on the phone with him and found nothing wrong with the hard drive.

I have only had the PC 8 months. He told me he'd phone me back the next day and didn't.

Here are my PC specs:

Model: CQ1140UK

CPU: AMD E-450 APU with Radeon HD graphics 1.65GHz

RAM: 4GB

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6320

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 2 of 23 (39,333 Views)

Re: Catalyst control centre:Host application has stopped working

Hello Shenmue,

Catalyst Control Center is used with your Video Card.

Let's first try simply uninstalling your video card driver and reinstalling it.

1. Click the start orb

2. Type Device Manager in the search

3. Launch the application when it appears in the list

4. Expand the Display Adapter section

5. Locate your video card and right click on it and uninstall it

Note: At this point your computer screen may turn black since the driver was uninstalled

6. Press the Windows key on your keyboard

7. Press the right arror twice

8. Press the letter R on your keyboard

After the restart Windows will reinstall the driver see if the problem happens again.

If it does we'll want to completely rip everything out, but since it's a little more in depth we'll try the simple solution first.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Top Student
Shenmue
Message 3 of 23 (39,322 Views)

Ok, I did as you said however the problem persists.:mansad:

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 4 of 23 (39,318 Views)

Hello Shenmue,

Let's try a couple things. First thing, is checking to make sure you have the latest and greatest drivers. Microsoft is going to install some drivers for you video card, but they might not always be the best ones.

You can find the driver support page for your video card here

AMD - Support & Drivers

If you are unsure about what drivers to get use the tool that they have available on their website.

Next thing is an easy check and usually isn't the case, but it's always important to check and that's to make sure the directory that it's trying to run isn't hidden. 

Navigate to c:\ and right click on Users. Select properties. Under the General tab, look at the bottom for the Hidden selection. If there is not a check mark in the box, place a check mark there. Hit apply, select yes to apply to all subdirectories. If you clicked ok, you may notice that it disappeared from the right pane once it finishes. It should still be listed under the tree on the left. Right click on it again. This time remove the check mark and apply to all subdirectories. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Top Student
Shenmue
Message 5 of 23 (39,290 Views)

Right, they first solution didn't work, but they second seems to have sesolved the issue. 

Thanks very much!:manvery-happy:

Honor Student
weezymac
Message 6 of 23 (34,220 Views)

:manvery-happy: thanks a lot i try that suggestion of going to properties and it actually fixed the issue with catalyst....

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 7 of 23 (34,177 Views)

Hello weezymac,

Glad to hear it worked for you! :smileyhappy:

I would suggest that if you did not set it to hidden personally then you should run a malware scan as some malware programs have been known to set the files to hidden on computers.

- Friendship is magical.
Student
ArnabRahman
Message 8 of 23 (27,451 Views)

It worked for me. Cheers (y)

Honor Student
SwagathR1
Message 9 of 23 (20,249 Views)

I tried in the same manner as what you have posted to others queries. I went to the properties of the Users in C:/, made it as hidden and applied and again i reversed it. But still i am not able to open the control centre. please help me. i have the latest graphic card 7670M series in my hpg6 laptop

HP Support Agent
Mrstenter
Message 10 of 23 (20,215 Views)

Hey SwagathR1,

I understand your are having an issue with your AMD Radeon HD 7450 Graphics Card.

If you follow the previous directions from HeartBeatz.

Navigate to c:\ and right click on Users. Select properties. Under the General tab, look at the bottom for the Hidden selection. If there is not a check mark in the box, place a check mark there. Hit apply, select yes to apply to all sub directories. If you clicked ok, you may notice that it disappeared from the right pane once it finishes. It should still be listed under the tree on the left. Right click on it again.
This time remove the check mark and apply to all sub directories. Restart your computer
Then reinstall it from the HP site after putting the Model Number.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html

Please let me know if you require further assistance.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Mrs.Tenter
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation