Question

Top Student
atomi5k
Message 1 of 12 (2,313 Views)

Computer Shuts Down Randomly.

I have recently upgraded my processor from an AMD Athlon II X4 620 to a Phenom II X4 925, and my computer has been completely shutting down on me, and when I turn it back on, I am told my computer has shut down due to "excessive external temperatures." This has occured only recently when my friend has played World of Warcraft for around 2 hours. He states that  the program Core Temp has read that the CPU temperature is around 40c and MSI Afterburner monitors the GPU temperature as around 60c.

I suspect that when the CPU reaches a certain temperature, the computer will shut down. If that is the case, how would I be able to change the limiter? If this is not the case, what might be a problem and how would I solve it?

I have an MSI NVIDIA 9800GT, 8GB RAM, and swapped out the stock Power Supply with a Corsair TX 650W Power Supply and the case fan with an Antec 92mm 3-speed fan.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 12 (2,303 Views)

Re: Computer Shuts Down Randomly.

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Intensive gaming will stress video system to its limits. Your video card might be the issue.  Look in the Event Viewer log for critical errors and see if the video card is the issue.  The NVIDIA 9800 is a decent video card. Perhaps you should try turning down the settings in WOW and see if that makes a difference.

There are a couple of things you could try.

Unplug the PC and open it up. Clean out all the dust.  Use a can of compressed to to blow out all of the dust around the processor cooling tower (in between the fins).

Get some new processor thermal paste. Remove the processor cooling tower and clean off the old paste and apply a very thin coat of new thermal paste.    This step should have been done when the new processor was installed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
atomi5k
Message 3 of 12 (2,295 Views)

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. This issue has only recently started occuring, particularly after I installed the new processor, and before that I could play WoW fine without any trouble. I usually keep my settings around Medium, as I am worried about overheating.

I checked the Event Viewer and the only thing I could find was that the computer had shut down "unexpectedly" at the time.

I clean my computer every three weeks with compressed air, so it is relatively dust free. However, I did forget to mention that I do have an Aftermarket cooler installed, which is the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro.

I did apply new thermal paste when I installed the new processor, and the brand of thermal paste I used was Noctua NT-H1.

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 12 (2,265 Views)

Hi,

atomi5k wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. This issue has only recently started occuring, particularly after I installed the new processor, and before that I could play WoW fine without any trouble. I usually keep my settings around Medium, as I am worried about overheating.

I checked the Event Viewer and the only thing I could find was that the computer had shut down "unexpectedly" at the time.

I clean my computer every three weeks with compressed air, so it is relatively dust free. However, I did forget to mention that I do have an Aftermarket cooler installed, which is the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro.

I did apply new thermal paste when I installed the new processor, and the brand of thermal paste I used was Noctua NT-H1.

The next time you do a processor change or upgrade consider using a different brand of thermal interface material. Brands like OCZ Freeze or Arctic Silver (or Ceramique) are well known in the enthusiast community..  

Personally I wouldn't use the Noctua brand if I had some AS5 or OCZ Freeze to use.

Here is a review on  NT-H1 at overclockersclub.com. It is more difficult to properly spread it than OCZ Freeze or AS5. 

Are you sure that you didn't put too much interface paste on between the CPU and the cooler?

For AMD processors too much can be a big problem. 

Best regards,

erico

****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
atomi5k
Message 5 of 12 (2,255 Views)

erico wrote:

Hi,

atomi5k wrote:

Hello,

The next time you do a processor change or upgrade consider using a different brand of thermal interface material. Brands like OCZ Freeze or Arctic Silver (or Ceramique) are well known in the enthusiast community..  

Personally I wouldn't use the Noctua brand if I had some AS5 or OCZ Freeze to use.

Here is a review on  NT-H1 at overclockersclub.com. It is more difficult to properly spread it than OCZ Freeze or AS5. 

Are you sure that you didn't put too much interface paste on between the CPU and the cooler?

For AMD processors too much can be a big problem. 

Best regards,

erico

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I will be sure to buy some next time I do an upgrade.

When I was in the process of the upgrade, I had my cousin apply the paste and such, as he has done this sort of thing before, and it didn't seem like he used a lot, though it is possible that could be a problem. 

However, the program Hardware Monitor shows my temperatures for the CPU to be at around 25-30c idle and around 35-40c under load, and the shut down occurs around the time the temperatures read around 40c. I also constantly monitor my temperatures with the program Core Temp. Would this problem really indicate the thermal paste? I am sorry if I am being difficult, as I do not know too much about this area of computers.

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 12 (2,250 Views)

Hi,

Did you install the ACPI driver for the processor after you changed the processor? That is important.

Run a memory test from the BIOS.

Temp of 40c is not going to make the PC shut down.

NO worries. You are doing great!

At least you are providing information. :smileyhappy:

Sometime it seems as if people think they  are at the dentist. It takes forever to get information to troubleshoot a problem.

Best regards,

erico

Top Student
atomi5k
Message 7 of 12 (2,237 Views)

Thank you for your reply.

I think I did, though I am not sure where to find the processor ACPI. Where would I find it? I upgraded the processor to a Phenom II X4 925. 

I am not sure if the BIOS has a diagnostics section. Am I able to still preform a test? My motherboard is a Pegatron M2N78-LA (Violet3) I believe, and the RAM installed is DDR2.

Provost
erico
Message 8 of 12 (2,232 Views)

The acpi driver is located at the AMD website

Best regards,
erico

Top Student
atomi5k
Message 9 of 12 (2,212 Views)

Thanks for replying and sticking around for this whole thing. I really appreciate the help.

I can't seem to find the particular driver for the processor, or anything pertaining to an ACPI. Is there a specific file name I am to be looking for?

Provost
erico
Message 10 of 12 (2,194 Views)

Hi,

Try Windows Update and look for optional updates for hardware. I looked for the ACPI driver at AMD and was also unable to locate it.

Best regards,
erico

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation