Question

Top Student
mommynish
Message 1 of 35 (51,239 Views)

Computer went into sleep mode and will not wake up!

I have a HP Pavilion a350n which I love and have never had a problem with it.....until now.

When I turn it on I get a black screen with a small window that reads "Warning" "PC entering power saving mode"  Then the screen goes blank and the blue power light on the monitor turns an amber color.  The only way I can turn off the computer is with the blue power button on the front of the tower.

Every "fix" I have come across says to do a System Restore from the Start Menu....How do you get to the start menu when you can't wake up the computer!

I have tried disconnecting the main power cord from the outlet and reconnecting it and turning the computer back on.  Nothing but the same "Warning....."

I tied hitting the F1 button at turning on the unit and nothing......

I checked the monitor connection at the rear of the computer and can't see any bent or broken pins.  Cord looks great too.

I took the back off and was going to try and unseat the memory card and reseat it again, but I don't know much about the inside of a computer and am not sure where the memory card is or what the hec it even looks like!

Thanks for any help!

Professor
1badGuard
Message 2 of 35 (51,236 Views)

Re: Computer went into sleep mode and will not wake up!

First try another monitor. What type and model of monitor do you have now?

If the computer turns off also, it could be shutting down due to hardware issues. Open the case and clean out the dust and then pull the video card and memory and reseat them. Then try to boot up.

Top Student
mommynish
Message 3 of 35 (51,230 Views)

Thank you sooo much for the reply!

I will try a different monitor today.....my monitor on the "sleeping computer" is a HP Pavilion mx703.

I did take the back off and it is really dusty inside, so I will clean that out today too.  I've always been afraid to ever touch anything inside thinking that I will do more damage than good, but at this point I am willing to try anything.

What does the video card and memory look like that I need to pull and reseat? 

I don't know where to find them?

By "reseat" do you mean to just pull them out and put them back in?

Sorry so many questions but I don't know ANYTHING about the insides of these computer at all.

Do appreciate ANY help.

Professor
1badGuard
Message 4 of 35 (51,228 Views)

No need in removing the back cover off the monitor. You can seriously injure yourself. Always make sure you unplug and discharge the anything electrical.

As far as the memory and video card, that will not be needed if the computer itself does not enter sleep mode. Does the power button stay blue once the monitor goes to sleep?

Top Student
mommynish
Message 5 of 35 (51,227 Views)

Yes, the power button on the computer stays blue when the monitor goes blank.
Professor
1badGuard
Message 6 of 35 (51,226 Views)

It is probably the monitor.
Top Student
mommynish
Message 7 of 35 (51,225 Views)

I just changed out with the monitor I am using now.  As soon as I booted up the computer, this monitor also went immediately into sleep mode and wouldn't do anything else.

Then I set it back up to this computer and now it works fine (but not on my other computer! ) Ugh!  Both monitors do the same thing.

Professor
1badGuard
Message 8 of 35 (51,220 Views)

Student
dumb_user_270
Message 9 of 35 (49,342 Views)

I just received a pavillion a610n from a friend that is doing the same thing.  I KNOW he wiped the hard drive before giving it to me.  He gave me no discs with it, and is moving so I don't know that he will be able to find them (if he still has them.)

Help!

Honor Student
ira828
Message 10 of 35 (49,321 Views)

My computer does the same thing. I bought a brand new HP Pavilion Elite HPE-180t desktop from HP Home Store last month, and within 1 week the computer was not waking up from sleep mode. The mouse and keyboard will not wake up the computer. I have dual monitors (HP and Samsung) and neither of them wake up, so it's not a monitor issue.

I called HP support and verifed that the keyboard and mouse settings were set to wake up the computer. In the end, we just did a system restore to the day I opened the box and that fixed it. Three days later, the problem came back.

I don't want to system restore every time this happens, so I would love to get to the root of the problem. I changed the power settings to never hibernate, but that's a band aid as well. I spent almost $2k on this computer and I'm really upset that I'm having problems right out of the box.

Can anyone help me?

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-180t PC
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-930 quad-core [2.8GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache]
• 8GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs]
• 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
• 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4650 [DVI, HDMI, VGA]
• Blu-ray writer & Lightscribe SuperMulti DVD burner
• Wireless-G LAN card
• 15-in-1 memory card reader, 1 USB, 1394, audio, video (for TV Tuner)
• TV tuner, ATSC-NTSC with PVR, remote
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation