Question

Honor Student
PatrickBarker
Message 1 of 11 (2,452 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Envy 700-074 model BIOS corruption, or bug, etc.

[ Edited ]

Hi,

My name is Patrick Barker, and I am a Blue Screen of Death Kernel Dump analyst. Over the past week or so I have run into two users who have an HP Envy 700-074 computer, and are encountering the same exact bug check. The first time I encountered such a bug check, I imagined the user may have just received a system with a bad BIOS, these kind of things happen in computers all the time. Well, the user contacted HP and had it replaced of course with the same exact model, and it had the same issue.

Right around that time, I discovered another user experiencing the exact same issue as the previous user. With a consistency such as this, I wonder if there is currently a BIOS corruption and/or bug associated with this specific model?

What's happening is there is a frequency of ACPI_BIOS_ERROR (a5) bug checks.

This bug check indicates that the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) BIOS of the computer is not fully compliant with the ACPI specification.

BugCheck A5, {1000, 0, 80001000, 25}

The 1st parameter so far has always been 1000.

1000 = ACPI_BIOS_USING_OS_MEMORY.

ACPI had a fatal error when processing a memory operation region. The memory operation region tried to map memory that has been allocated for OS usage.

This bug check appears generally in these 2 scenarios:

1. BIOS bug / corrupt and needs to be solved with an update or return to manufacturer.

2. Rootkit (not very common).

In our case, it's #1. What exactly is going on? I cannot be entirely too sure due to having to have a checked version of ACPI.sys to debug such an issue, and with this happening on another user's system, I am not going to use them as guinea pigs. However, this appears to a widespread issue from what I can tell regarding that specific model's BIOS. For reference, a BIOS update is not currently available for that specific model, so not entirely sure what the end user can do, especially if their replacement systems of the same model have the same issue over and over again.

-----------------

Two threads where it's occurring, I will update if I see anymore:

1. Windows 8 crashes after entering sleep mode - Microsoft Community

2. Brand new computer running Windows 8 - 2 crashes in first day - Microsoft Community

Why am I posting this here? Well, for one, I cannot find a place to contact HP and/r support directly without actually owning an HP machine. So, with this said, two questions:

1. Is there a way I contact HP directly regarding this issue?

2. Does and/or has anyone else with this specific HP model have this issue?

Regards,

Patrick

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 11 (2,422 Views)

Re: HP Envy 700-074 model BIOS corruption, or bug, etc.

[ Edited ]

Hi Patrick,

This forum is mainly volunteers and HP has no official presence here.    I'll  asked to have your issue escalated.  In the mean time, you or your client should open up an official ticket with HP Support.  These PCs are still covered by warranty.

HP's support number is 800-474-6836 or 800-HPINVENT or online here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
PatrickBarker
Message 3 of 11 (2,412 Views)

Thank you for your reply and escalation, it's much appreciated.

Is there a way to contact HP myself  without a warranty and/or product related service tag?

Regards,

Patrick

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 4 of 11 (2,391 Views)

Hi Patrick,

Look for a personal message from HP that will advise you what to do.  You can always get the service tag information from your clients.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Honor Student
PatrickBarker
Message 5 of 11 (2,367 Views)

Hi,

Again, thank you very much. I did receive a PM and I have sent my email. Hopefully this goes somewhere!

I have given you kudos.

Regards,

Patrick

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 6 of 11 (2,354 Views)

Hi Patrick,

Hopefully you will get the issue resolved. Please  post back again with your results.

Thanks for the feedback.

HP Touchpad
Student
HJ1979
Message 7 of 11 (2,301 Views)

[ Edited ]

I bought this computer in mid November after my previous HP desktop of 5 years died.I had the geek squad do a onsite hookup in mid December and immediately had the same problems others have had.When it went idle it would shut down and restart with a error message saying "Your PC ran into a problem.This problem caused your PC to restart.You can send info to Microsoft about what went wrong to help us improve Windows."And in the more info there was mini dump info..Immediatly I called Tech support and they suggested it was sleep mode problems.They changed "Turn off hardisk after to Never. and figured that would solve the problem.It did help but not completely.Instead of the computer restarting with a error message everytime it was let idle,it now would only do it once a day between 3am and 6am in the morning.Over the next few weeks while I've been on with tech support,they turned off more and more sleep related functions.Each time it would improve the problem having it go longer and longer without a shut down/restart with error message in the middle of the night.I got it up to three days without a problem by switching these. off.
1)Turn off display-Never
2)Put computer to sleep-Never
3)Sleep after-Never
4)Allow hybrid sleep stting-Off
5)Hibernate after-Never
6)Allow wake times-Disable
7)Power button action-Do nothing
8)Sleep button action-Do Nothing
Finally on Christmas day,my cousin who works with building/programming/setting up computers suggested to turn sleep off from Bios and he suggested that if this doesn't solve the problem completely to take the computer into the Geeks squad.I went five days without the restart with error message happening but after five days it happened again.At that point I saw the reviews at Best Buy about others having the same issue and figured I would try the geek squad tech support one last time.The tech support agent who I gave this review page to and let know others were having the same problem.He did some research and said that I turned off all the right things but there was one last thing I hadn't turned off which could resolve this problem.He changed the USB Selective Suspend setting to disabled..He suggested that if this didn't resolve things for good to take the computer in to the geek squad since it could be a hardware problem a batch of HPs are having..It happened one more time and I was going to take this computer in finally but I remember one agent suggested a screen saver issue could also cause this.So figuring I had nothing to lose if I turned off the screensaver and see what happens,I did that.I turned off the screensaver.I did this on January 1.It was fine for 17 days until yesterday when it happened again in the middle of the night.The computer shut down(the monitor went to sleep.When I moved the mouse,it woke and the computer restarted with the same type of error as before).It happened again this morning.

Back on the Best Buy review page for this computer in the last day or so I've seen some people mention a possible fix.Upgrading to Windows 8.1.

Here's the link and you;ll see dozens of people complaining about this same issue for several pages of reviews

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-700-desktop-12gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive/8997042.p?id=121896834525...

"Windows 8.1 Upgrade

01/14/2014
Had what sounds like a similar problem. When the computer went to sleep mood it tries to turn monitor off and it crashes when turning monitor back on.
Easy to test, go to control panel and tell it NEVER to turn monitor off. Computer sleep mode is fine, this is just the monitor off/on.
If that solves it, installing free Windows 8.1 upgrade fixed it for me"

What's great about it: hardware
What's not so great: Windows 8.0
Bought this computer to replace an 8 year old Pentium desktop running XP that had become bogged down and non-responsive frequently. Loved the spec's - HD size, installed RAM, and processor. Turns out that the OS caused a system reboot every time power savings mode went idle. Even changed settings to "sleep never". I do not like to power down my computer so overnight the "sleep never" mode still went idle and rebooted on wake up.The GEEK squad did the standard fix of implementing Windows recovery and this fix did not resolve anything, BestBuy was GREAT and was happy to exchange the 'puter, but it behaved exactly the same as the first. Microsoft released the OS with a known problem I believe since the fix was established only with an update of the OS to Windows 8.1. Hours and hours with HP to validate that it was not the hardware but rather the OS. I don't know why the fix wasn't installed on a 'puter purchased at XMas time but after installing Windows 8.0 - all is good."

The WIndow 8.1 upgrade was also mentioned by Patrick Barker as a maybe fix in the second Microsft thread.

Is it worth trying to upgrade Windows 8.1 to see if this really does fix it?Like I said above,turning off the screensaver stopped the problem for almost three weeks.WIll updating to WIndows 8.1 only be another temporary pause in the problem and not a permanent fix?

I'll be honest,I've heard WIndwos 8.1 has some issues and is still buggy and was advised to wait a few more months before upgrading but if this will solve the problem I then have to decide whether to live with this for a few more months and upgrade to WIndow 8.1 in the spring or do it now and take my chances that there are no problems and that is a permanent fix(if I wait,I'll know since people will report that Windows 8.1 didn't permanently fix iit if it didn't I'm sure)

I haven't contacted HP yet since so many people have mentioned not getting any help from them.I was going to go up to The Geeks Squad tomorrow to pick up something else that was in for repair and ask what they might of heard or suggest about this issue..Quite honestly I'm not very good with computers only have very basic user knowledge.

This is a real drop ball from HP though which is a surprise.HP is supposed to be the best and my last  desktop computer was HP and lasted a good five years and I really was happy with it.My current laptop  I got in 2011 is also a HP and has been a dream.

But this current issue with the HP Envy 700=074 Desktop is very fustrating and seems to be widespread.
Honor Student
YC_Chou
Message 8 of 11 (1,535 Views)

Please try the latest BIOS update HP Posted on 4/22.

Student
dddmotorcycle
Message 9 of 11 (1,510 Views)

I am on my second Envy 700-074 computer and both have the same problem.  I get Critical code 41 alerts Power-System logs.  I can't even complete the initial computer setup, entry of name, espress setting, and location, without a "your PC has a problem" message.  Same code 41 when I update Microsoft Windows and same code when I update HP apps.  Does the new bios work?  Otherwise I am taking this computer back and will go to another model, but I really like the hardware on this computer.

Student
SopranoSaxMan
Message 10 of 11 (1,144 Views)

[ Edited ]

I recently purchased an HP ENVY 700-215xt.  I ordered it from HP with Windows 7 Professional, a 3TB Hard Drive, 16GB RAM, and 16GB Solid State Cache and an upgrade on the graphics card.  The thing worked great even after the computer went idle after inactivity, I was able to wake it back up with no problem.  I had a question about the Solid State Cache, whether I should be able to see it in the device manager or somehow be able to see if HP actually installed it per my order.  An HP rep saw that I needed an update on a driver and she did so remotely.  That was on a Tuesday night.  On Thursday evening (one week after I got the computer), my computer booted up fine and I worked with it.   Went out for pizza and came back, so it went into an idle mode.  Upon waking it up, the blue screen appeared.  I rebooted and all was well.  Later it went into the idle mode again, I rebooted and it came up OK.  Then I called HP about the issue and a tech made some changes with the power monitoring, etc.  He did a reboot and said that our chat session would automatically reconnect when Windows opened back up again.   However, when it came back on, the blue screen appeared for a few seconds, then a black screen indicating that Windows 7 could not open.  After about 5 minutes, the tech realized that something was wrong and called me on my phone.  I explained what happened and he asked to verify my address and said that HP would send me a shipping box, etc. to send it back.  It sounds like the same kind of issue others are experiencing with other models.  The reason I got this particular model is that it had the best reviews, I liked the hardware choices, and I could order it with Windows 7 Pro.  My first HP was when the Pavilion came out way, way long ago.  It used to give me the blue screen all the time and I promised myself I would never buy another HP computer again!  I should have heeded my own advice, but I thought that certainly things would have gotten better after 10 or 15 years!  I expect to receive a shipping container within a day or so, so it will be interesting to see what crashed (hard drive, BIOS issue, or what...and if they fix it or replace it, will it happen again.  Now I am wondering.  Is HP capable of fixing this???

SopranoSaxMan

UPDATE:  I got my computer back in about 1 week, including shipping!  I was surprised to find that the video card NVIDEA GE Force 640 was replaced (with an 646).  I did not think I had a video card problem.  Well, I got another Blue Screen after the computer went into a sleep mode (i.e., monitor, hard drive and all automatically shut down after a period of non-use).  Upon trying to wake it up, I got the Blue Screen.  I called HP and the tech advised me to download any video card driver updates from NVIDEA directly (not from HP)!  I did so, and so far everything is OK (even when computer goes into the deep sleep mode or if I force it into that mode).  So far, so good.  I have since installed Microsoft Office, updated all drivers that I know of for the computer, updates on the antivirus, updates on MS Office, etc.  I made a CD Repair disk (for some reason, I could not burn it to a DVD, although I was able to burn a file back-up to DVD).  One quirky thing is that I could not  create a system image on DVD or on external hard drive.   I had HP put in  a 3TB hard-drive instead of the 1TB standard.  Any thoughts?

SopranoSaxMan

NEW UPDATE:  [NOTE:  I thought I had posted this info a few months ago, but come to find out that it did not get posted...so I'm posting it for historical purposes and as a warning.  See follow-on paragraph for the latest good news; but the bad news (before the real fix) is as follows].  "My computer has been running fine for about 5 days, then my desktop gadgets disappeared and I was not able to open the gadgets program.  Unfortunately, I initiated a chat with HP and allowed one of the reps to try to resolve the issue.  I was watching and noticed he tried to download gadgets from a non-Microsoft website and some other junk came with it.  In the process of the rep trying to uninstall the software, the gadgets came back on.  And we closed the chat.  However, one of the items of "junk" that came with the rep's attempt to download non-Microsoft gadgets was a program called Password Viewer or something like that.  My pre-installed (and updated) McAfee anti virus did NOT pick up on it until when I initiated a complete scan later.  It asked me if I wanted to remove it; I selected "Remove" but that did not remove it.  I was able, however, to uninstall it.  I noticed that the next day, the official windows CPU Monitor gadget disappeared again, but later reappeared after rebooting.  I also noticed  I noticed that there were 2 files that appeared on the desktop that were not there before (a "Desktop.ini" with a lock on it, and a "Desktop.ini" without a lock).  I clicked on these NotePad files to see what was in them. Afterwards, I also noticed that the computer that evening gave me another Blue Screen, shut down by itself, and rebooted by itself.  I now remember that before I sent my computer back a couple of weeks ago, the computer automatically shut itself down and rebooted itself back up again.  I also remember that two "Desktop.ini" files appeared back then.  I don't know what is going on, but the only software on this computer has been HP loaded/HP purchased software.

Beginning to strike a sour note with HP,
SopranoSaxMan"

LATEST...GOOD NEWS...after the above described debacle, I called HP back and got hold of, I believe, someone in the United States.  He, instead of doing a remote, stepped ME through a process that took care of all the problems!!!  I forgot what he did and what his name is, but I marked it all down (I'm just not at home right now).  He was very friendly, very informative, and HE KNEW WHAT HE WAS DOING!!!  I did not get back on this bulletin board because I wanted to go beyond a couple of weeks/months to see if everything continued working ok.  I am happy to report that the computer has been working TOP-NOTCH ever since.  It's a SUPER FAST machine with a lot of capability.  My suggestions are:  1.)Speak with someone in the US, and 2.) Don't get hold of someone that wants to remotely fix your machine!

Satisfied,

SopranoSaxMan

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation