Question

Student
LoganCale
Message 1 of 8 (4,158 Views)

NVIDIA graphics driver causing boot failure and BSOD

I am working on an HP Pavilion (See system details below) that I have been trying to fix for a friend. After a Windows update, the user reported that the system stopped booting into anything other than safe mode. I found some virus infections and decided to re-install the OS from the recovery partition. After doing this, the system still failed to boot anytime the graphics card was initialized. Every time I install any of the NVIDIA graphics drivers (I even tried some of the older ones) the system fails to boot (hangs with black screen right after the loading Windows scroll bar, then goes into repeated re-boot). I have to boot into safe-mode and roll back the driver to the generic VGA driver every time. The generic driver works just fine to boot the machine, but the resolution is low and the graphics are somewhat sluggish. I am assuming that this is a driver problem, since the video card does work when I use the generic VGA Windows driver. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I have experienced a BSOD a few times right after installing the drivers. The BSOD referenced “NVLDDMKM.SYS”. I also noticed that a couple of items are added to startup and an NVIDIA service is also started when the driver package is installed.

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce8400GS
OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
System Model GN553AA-ABA m9040n
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2394 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 5.10, 9/20/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Professor
1badGuard
Message 2 of 8 (4,114 Views)

Re: NVIDIA graphics driver causing boot failure and BSOD

I assume you tried the drivers from nVidia.    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Did you try removing the video card and using the onboard video?  If the onboard video is capped off, remove the cap and try using the onboard video. Make sure you remove the video card first.

Honor Student
Koleamoku
Message 3 of 8 (4,103 Views)

I believe I am having this same problem with the nvidia 8600 gts.
Teacher
lindae123
Message 4 of 8 (3,890 Views)

the bios needs to be set to allow for the card to be recobnised..

hp explains this at...http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01177594&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3550550

regards.....

Honor Student
ukcbajr
Message 5 of 8 (3,376 Views)

I have exactly the same problem. Just started yesterday on a mchine I've been using for a few years. Although I have artifacts in the screen as well in the low resolution mode.

Seems to have started after a Windows update. But I went back a few restore points and nothing changed.

Also I completely cleared the nvidia drivers and it did reboot without the BSOD, but of course the resolution was basic. And I still had the artifacts. It automatically detected the card, installed the latest drivers, rebooted - and BSOD again. SO I can only run in safe mode now.

I see this was posted a few months ago so if you have an updated I'd really appreciate it.

Honor Student
ukcbajr
Message 6 of 8 (3,373 Views)

by the way found this thread with a screen shot on the nvidia forums with a similar problem. This is exacly what I see.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=106876&hl=bsod

Honor Student
sandeep500
Message 7 of 8 (3,183 Views)

am using HP pavilion elite m9040n for 2 years.

i use a vacuum cleaner and dust my CPU every month.

i use my computer on an average of 20hrs a day. coz i download a lot of stuff from net, play lot of high end games like COD4, HALO

i recently  added a WD500gb internal SATA drive.

but recently, i see small patches on the sceen and my computer freezes after 5-10 minutes after windows is booted. none of the devices respond and i have to only poweroff holding the power button for 7 secs. i found out that the problem was with the Nvidia geforce 8400gs graphic card. i first thought it was getting over heated, and even when i use it with the cabin open, fans cleaned and air conditioning the room , it still freezed. i tried loading a variety of  the Geforce graphic card drivers from nvidia website, hp drivers website, but no success. my system runs with the on-board standars VGA graphics adaptor. but i cannot play even the free cell and other small games...now.

what do you think the problem is???

or hardware issue with  the graphic card???

or changing the graphic card or repairing it works???

somebody please help me.... am unable to see my computer in such a way...

Student
computerstarca
Message 8 of 8 (3,064 Views)

Reinstall the driver and if it still does not work the card may be bad.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation