Question

Top Student
zieglert
Message 1 of 36 (5,237 Views)

m9350f Not detecting SATA Drives

Suddenly my m9350f decided not to detect my Seagate 750GB HD.  Out of warranty by 1.5 months.... awesome.  The free HP chat lady advised that my HD was bad after we confirmed it did not detect the HD in the BIOS and I would need to buy another for $350.......Awesome. 

Deciding it was worth a little more trouble shooting I removed the drive and put it on a SATA to USB adapter.  Everything seemed to be there and operate fine.  After trying again I noticed the BIOS was also not detecting my SATA CD/DVD drive. I reseated swapped SATA ports cables etc.  No detection of either drive.

Anybody have a clue here?  It seems like something needs to get reset rather then dealing w/ new hardware. 

Thanks in advance...

Tim

Master's Graduate
sumsolstice
Message 2 of 36 (5,233 Views)

Re: m9350f Not detecting SATA Drives

Tim,

My first thought was that the Seagate hard drive firmware update hadn't been applied - and you'd been bit by that- but if the drive can be seen when hooked up to a USB adapter - that is not affecting you (although, once you've got things all working, if the HD firmware isn't HP26 - download and apply it as soon as possible).

The only other suggestion I would have would be to go into the BIOS setup, and load the BIOS defaults (F5).   You also might try a power drain of your system (disconnect the power cable for about 15-20 seconds) and see if that makes a difference.  You may have already tried that, but those are the suggestions I have at the moment.

Its rare that the SATA ports would all go out on a system all of a sudden.  If they got turned off - the BIOS defaults should re-enable them.  I'm also assuming there is power to the connectors for the HD and the optical drive as well.

If all this doesn't pan out - then perhaps you could find a SATA add-in card - definitely would be cheaper than swapping a motherboard.

-dm (an HP employee, but the time and comments here are mine, not my employers)

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 3 of 36 (5,219 Views)

Are you running Vista or Windows 7?

If you're running Windows 7, install this patch

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/Driver-update-for-Win7-USB-issue-on-nVidia-chipse...

Top Student
zieglert
Message 4 of 36 (5,174 Views)

Thanks again for the suggestions.  But no luck.

1. Tried the power cable several times actually. And even removed the Lithium battery for fun.

2. Removed the graphics card

3. Both Sata CD-Rom & HD have power.  The CD-ROM drive opens & closes. I can feel/here the HD power up.  No BIOS detection of either.

4. BIOS does detect a USB key when I plug one in.

5. I am running Vista Home Prem 64bit

6. Also tried removing all but 2Gb of Ram per some other posts & even switched which 2G of memory

I don't have any spare PCIE ports for SATA add on, but I'm probably going to grab a USB to Sata cable just trouble shoot a little further hopefully.  Not looking forward to all the complications that look like they come with finding & intstalling new Motherboard.  Any other ideas still appreciated.

Thanks

Top Student
zieglert
Message 5 of 36 (5,161 Views)

dm - I purchased a Sata to USB converter and it still functions fine as a mass storage drive.  I'm still wondering if it is something HD related though.  Where something is botched not allowing it to function as the boot drive.

After more observation I'm noticing that after a power drain and then boot up it hangs at the opening screen "Detecting storage devices...." 

?Question?  is there any way for me to try upgrading the HD firmware w/o having it be the boot drive?  In other words upgrade it when it's connected to my laptop via USB?

The upgrade instructions seem to be focused on a drive that is the boot drive.

Thanks,

Tim

Master's Graduate
sumsolstice
Message 6 of 36 (5,065 Views)

I doubt you could update it - the HDD update creates a bootable CD - that boots FreeDOS.  There aren't any USB drivers loaded in FreeDOS - so... wouldn't work.

If it was connected as a secondary HDD - and the system could see it (albeit - not boot from it) - the FW update could update it there as well.   But I don't think your problem is related to the FW update Ior possible lack of it being applied).  

Somethings just not right tho.  Perhaps the partition is no longer marked "active".  If you can connect it as a secondary drive in a system that has some flavor of windows loaded  - check to see if the C: partition is marked as "active" in Windows disk mangement (shortcut to get there is to click on start/run and type in diskmgmt.msc).

-dm (an HP employee, but the time/comments/suggestions here are mine, not my employers)

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
Top Student
zieglert
Message 7 of 36 (4,778 Views)

OK.  Replaced Power Supply which I didn't really expect to solve the issue, but had read enough about how craptastic it was that I decided to replace (and who knows, could possible be the root cause).

Anyway, I bought a replacement MOBO off ebay from China as a cheap gamble.  Despite looking like it came out of a dumpster (faded color on PCB, slightly corroded components in spots, it works.

So I'm going to chalk this up to a boogered up SATA controller mijigger on the MOBO.

HOWEVER, now I'm trying to update the firmware on the HD and the boot disk I created doesn't seem to fire up anything, but a blinking cursor.  The BIOS says the CD-ROM is the first drive to try..... and I would guess it's trying since it's not doing the normal Windows boot.  I'm probably going to try burning another CD using the ISO image, but I would welcome any helpful suggestions.

dsd Student
Student
dsd
Message 8 of 36 (4,774 Views)

I also am having this problem.  My controller sees the drive about 30% of the time.  Can switch to another SATA port on the motherboard, but get similar results.  Original drive is Hitachi.  I have also tried a replacement WD.  Same result.

Even if I can see the drive, I can't talk to it long enough to either boot Windows, or the recovery partition (pressing F11 has no effect).

I also see the CD/DVD about 30% of the time (not necessarily the same as when I see the drive).  Unplugging the drive or the CD/DVD may or may not have an effect.  It is very intermittent.

System BIOS is 5.22.  Would like to upgrade, but it looks like the OS has to be running to apply BIOS update.  Would be useful to create a bootable BIOS CD.

Student
kyromaniac
Message 9 of 36 (4,212 Views)

This all sounds very fishy... has anyone resolved this issue yet?

I'm having a similar problem with a m9090a - BIOS doesn't pick up SATA drives some of the time. I have two drives and it can pick up only one or both or none, DVD/CD drives seems to get through OK though.

Have tried new cables, new ports with the same results. Memory is OK, Motherboards is OK...

No BIOS updates released for this model though.  Have updated everything possible that I can find, windows updates, drivers, firmware, etc. Have run Seagates diagnostic utility and the drives are perfectly fine.  I've found HP to be a bit slack lately with releasing updates to fix issues there are a few things I'm waiting on updates for so that they work properly but this is one that needs to be done!

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 10 of 36 (4,192 Views)

[ Edited ]

Try clearing the CMOS.    I have found the bios discovery isn't perfect (which it should be) but clearing the bios seems to speed up device detection.

You have plenty of sata ports and perhaps trying differnet ports might help.  Bios level 5.29 is the latest level posted.

Is that Seagate drive a 5400 RPM model?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation