Question

Student
Soniagreg
Message 1 of 9 (15,729 Views)

HP Scanjet G4010 Software Installation Incomplete

When trying to scan I got an error message that Microsoft needed to close so the scan was aborted.  I couldn't seem to fix it, so I uninstalled the scanner and software.  Now I can't completely reinstall from the CD that came with the scanner.  The software installation hangs when it's about 94% completed at the point In the frame for installing additional software.  It stops with another error message that Microsoft has to close. I've sent this to Mcrosoft,  The Update Application detail is

AppName:  setup exe.  Error Report Contents indicate that the following file was included in the error report

C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~\Temp\9971_appcompat.txt

It appears to be some sort of set-up problem.  I've tried removing and reinstalling several tims, but it always comes back to this incomplete installation and the features I'm trying to use won't activate.   I hope I'm posting in the right category, and would appreciate any advice.
Honor Student
oohaymak
Message 2 of 9 (15,587 Views)

HP Scanjet G4010 incompatible with windows 7

I have issue running my HP scanjet G4010 with windows 7. I am frustrated. I though before I return it to Staples, I will try this board to see if there is a miracle solution because I could not find any solution at HP or windows.

Honor Student
olund1
Message 3 of 9 (15,292 Views)

Re: HP Scanjet G4010 incompatible with windows 7

It was not possible to load the scanner SW from the attached CD, however, with assistans from HP help desk I succeded to load the software in a very complicated manner. The sad thing is, after scanning 12-15 photos, the program stops. "Runtime error in hpqscnvw.exe."

When trying to reload the program again, it failed. No way to get the program running again.

Now I am reading on the HP support page that the G4010 will support Windows 7. However, on another web page, http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=se&prodNameId=3236365&..., it says N/A  in the box for current version.

N/A, does it mean Not Applicable or Not Available?? Does in mean we will never get a driver and its supporting software that supports Windows 7?

Now I am afraid that the installation SW is setting registers in a way that it is not possible to reload the SW. I got the suggestion from Help Desk to use another adminstrative account to install the SW. It worked. Once but not twice!

I have now reinstalled the the Windows 7 operative system, and am now reluctant to try again with the HP scanner installation program. As we do not know when, or if, HP will pruduce a proper SW, maybe I should try to let Microsoft install only the driver and run the scanner from e.g. Windows Live Photo Gallery. Not what I expected, as I purchaced the scanner just because of the supporting software. As I could see briefly the HP Solution Center is usefull, when operating.

Student
redline440
Message 4 of 9 (15,230 Views)

Re: HP Scanjet G4010 Software Installation Incomplete

This is how I was able to do an 'error-free' install on my PC running "Windows 7 Professional 64-bit"

1st of all I installed Windows 7 and allowed Windows 7 to install the scanner drivers automatically before I attempted to install the HP software package.
- to do this, make sure the HP G4010 is powered on and the USB is connected to the PC
- Windows 7 will take over and install the drivers
- you can confirm installation by reviewing the "Imaging devices" section of Device Manager and you will see 'HP Scanjet G4010' and driver version 9.0.0.0 from Hewlett-Packard 4/10/2007, the device status should say 'The device is working properly.'

Very basic scanning should be possible even before the complete HP software package is loaded.

Next, retrieve the latest software from HP as below:
.... setup_full_G4000.exe (198,016 kb) ....

Save to your drive, then Right click, choose properties, click tab for 'Compatibility'

Click 'Change settings for all users'

Place checkmark in box next to 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' and then from drop-down choose, Windows Vista (Service Pack 2), click 'Apply', then OK, OK to close all windows.

Now start the installation by "Double clicking" to run install, be patient, it may take a while to begin!

Also, watch the task bar as UAC message box mentioned above may appear behind the active window!

At the UAC message click 'Yes'

Follow on-screen instructions as usual. I used the default install except as noted below . . .
(Personally, I choose the advanced installation so I could uncheck the "HP Photosmart Essential 1.12" since I prefer to use alternate software for this purpose.  It should not matter whether you choose to install or not.)

Once installed, open "HP Solution Center"; go to "Help" then click "Check for updates"

Mine prompted for "Latest Version of HP Update, Version 5.2" ... This update has opt-in/out feature for individual updates, Win 7 compatibility, and minor bug fixes.

Click next to download and install.  When you get the 'Installation succeeded message, click Finish.

Good Luck ... hope it works for you too!

Honor Student
esox85
Message 5 of 9 (11,176 Views)

I had same problem with my scanjet G4010, 32bit windows 7, but there is driver on official site for every OS you want...

Here you can find it...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=3236365&lang=en&cc=us...

Honor Student
esox85
Message 6 of 9 (11,174 Views)

I had same problem with my scanjet G4010, 32bit windows 7, but there is driver on official site for every OS you want...

Here you can find it...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=3236365&lang=en&cc=us...

Student
haitham_cs
Message 7 of 9 (10,050 Views)

شاكرن أفضالكم

Honor Student
dumbblonde
Message 8 of 9 (9,633 Views)

You might try to uninstall with revo uninstaller set on at least moderate.

Student
petroset
Message 9 of 9 (3,469 Views)

Installing with windows 7 using original install disk but install will not complete

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation