HP Support Assistant Tune up doesn't work! (911 Views)
Tutor
RandyCr
Message 1 of 2 (911 Views)

HP Support Assistant Tune up doesn't work!

[ Edited ]

Compaq Presario CQ5720F

Windows 7

out of the Box

When the Tune-up runs, either scheduled or manual, it successfully

Sets a Restore point

Empties the Recycle bin

Clears Firefox Temporary Files,

and then hangs (the little circle keeps spinning) on each of the following:

Clear IE Temp folder

Clear Temp file folder

MS Windows Disk Defrag.

It first attempted to clear the IE Temp folder. It ran overnight --

I ran IE a few times to fill up the temp folder -- still hung

I manually emptied the IE Temp folder and ran it again -- still hung

Went into Tune-up settings and turned it off.  It then hung on the next task, Clearing the Temp Folder. (let it run overnight).

Went back into Settings and turned that off.  It then hung on the next task, running defrag.

I have set the power control to never sleep, even though I would expect the program would/should prevent the computer from sleeping while preforming a tune-up or defrag, and each attempt was run overnight to make sure it was hanging and not just busy doing it's thing.

I even chatted with HP Support to try and figure it out -- they couldn't either.

Is anyone else experiencing this fatal flaw in the program?  I have done nothing to change the system -- all I did was make restore DVD's before I loaded or ran any other programs.

I would have thought HP would test the program before launching it -- they will say they did "extensive and rigorous testing",

so why doesn't mine work?

Well, I have spent the day working on it.

First I uninstalled the version that came with the computer (6.0.4)

Then I downloaded the newest version (6.0.5.4)

The biggest improvement is that they have removed the option of running MS Disk Defrag. -- I guess I wasn't the only one with problems with it.

Now it gets hung up with the last task -- it doesn't matter what the last task is, it just sits there and spins.

Finally I removed every task except setting a restore point and emptying the recycle bin.

It finally did those tasks and went to the "analyse" mode.

It opened a window to tell me to make a HP diagnosis disk -- put the disk in the machine, and the program then informs me that the diagnosis disk image is not on my computer.

Maybe HP would be kind enough to let everyone know when they have finally figured out how to get the program to work -- the concept is good, to have a periodic tune-up, but I guess it has to be done manually,

using the old adage, "If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself."

Tutor
orealius
Message 2 of 2 (433 Views)

Re: HP Support Assistant Tune up doesn't work!

Yeah...The Support Assistant is a piece of dung software. It's pathetic that HP would allow this 'support software' to continue without really fixing it. It never worked right...still doesn't...some support..eh?

Oreally

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation