HP m7580n new hard drive problems (100 Views)
Student
PCTechRescue
Message 1 of 2 (100 Views)

HP m7580n new hard drive problems

Greetings,

I am having a world of pain installing a new hard drive in this HP Pavilion m7580n. I attempted to do the System Recovery from the hard drive and that went about 60%, failed and the computer would not start after that. So I got the 3 disk set of Recovery CDs and attempted to reinstall with them. It booted into the recovery then immediately displayed the message "System Recovery Aborted" and said the disk may not be initialized and to run FDISK, which I did. During FDISK, it would stop checking the disk integrity at about 12% and go back to 0% qand stay there. I also tried the FDISK with the optional switch to not run the integrity check...but it did it anyway.

So I installed a brand new hard drive into the computer and ran the CDs and the exact same thing happened as described above. So I changed SATA cables, SATA interface, etc. It is a vicious cycle of the same exact thing described above.

The OS is Windows XP Media Edition I believe. I checked the HP documentation and I am doing everything right in replacing the hard drive, in fact it is the same method as any other computer manufacturer. I am very confused as to why this will not run. I have tried 4 known good drives in the system.

Other facts:

The BIOS sees the hard drive, no matter which one I install and no matter which SATA channel I put it on.

I am running Memtest on it and so far no issues.

Anyone ever face this issue?

Joel

Master's Graduate
ibfrenchy
Message 2 of 2 (72 Views)

Re: HP m7580n new hard drive problems

so how much RAM do you have in the system right now?

If you have more than one stick - take all the RAM out except on stick. Try again. If it fails try a different stick same spot. if it still fails try the first stick different slot. etc.

When I see this issue it is normally RAM or the slot.

Troubleshooting Recovery for your PC:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00881405&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=ca&dlc=en&ju...

good luck

bill

I'm a HP employee

Please post rather than sending a Private Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly.- Thank you
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation