Question

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 1 of 29 (44,917 Views)

How to Install Windows 7 Without the Disc

[ Edited ]

1a)  Here is very useful article from PCWorld.com. The article is entitled "How to Install Windows 7 Without the Disc" and means just what it says. The article also has links to Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder and legitimate Windows 7 ISOs from Digital River, a licensed distributor of Microsoft software. The article lists "Step 1" as;

"Find your Windows 7 product key: Typically this 25-character alphanumeric string is printed on a sticker affixed to your PC or on documentation included with your PC. Alternatively, you can use a keyfinder program such as Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder to pull your product key from the Registry. You need your product key to reinstall Windows."

1b)  Using a key finder, however, is only useful if the Windows 7 product key was printed on a sticker (Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity) affixed to your PC, on documentation included with your PC, or sent via email by Microsoft. Assuming your computer came from one of the big brand computer manufacturers... HP, Sony, Dell, Gateway, etc... as most do, it uses a generic "mass activation" OEM SLP key. Trying to use this key by itself isn't going to work. This OEM SLP key needs to be mated with an OEM SLP certificate and an appropriate OEM BIOS with a proper SLIC table.

1c)  Here is where ABR Beta With Windows 7 Support comes to the rescue. Follow the "How to use it" section of ABR for Windows Vista for information and instructions on how to use ABR. The steps listed for Vista apply to Windows 7 as well. Perform the "activation backup" to "backup" and save the OEM SLP key and OEM SLP certificate. Save the entire ABR folder to an external location for later use. This will allow you to pre-activate your "clean" Windows 7 install on the computer you pulled the key and certificate from.

1d)  Now install Windows 7 from your new "Windows 7" disc or USB stick, following all prompts as needed. Don't enter a Windows 7 product key if request. Also, don't allow Windows to try to auto-activate. Once Windows is fully installed, run ABR "activation restore" to "restore" the previously backed up product key and certificate to the new Windows 7 install. Verify that Windows is activated, repeat "activation restore" if needed.

2)  Here is another useful article, this time from SevenForums.com. This arcticle is entitled "Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7" and provides detailed steps required to backup your computer, audit current hardware and software, locate software and drivers, install and activate Windows 7, and create a Windows 7 Backup Image of your fresh install.

Good luck.

Links to additional Windows 7 SP1 "Editions" and "Languages" can be found HERE and HERE.

Link to "ei.cfg Removal Utility". The "ei.cfg Removal Utility" is a simple tool that will remove the ei.cfg  from any Windows ISO disc image, thereby converting the image into a "universal disc" that will prompt the user to select an edition during setup instead of being forced to use different discs for different versions of Windows 7.

Direct link to Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool.

<Cross posted to Notebook Operating Systems and Software for Notebook, Laptop, and Netbook users>

EDITED by Frank on 8/28/2013

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Top Student
ervis
Message 2 of 29 (44,313 Views)

Re: How to Install Windows 7 Without the Disc

hello, firstable i want to thank you that  you are tried to help me  :smileywink: now i am going to explain again my issue!

i have installed windows 7 home premium spi got it BY  DIGITALRIVERCONTENT but i cant activate it with my product key  because the isos of DIGITALRIVERCONTENT are all x17-..... and i need an iso x16-96072 i think this is my problem but  i am no sure . when i used this -http://directedge.us/files/abr/ABRbeta.exe the result was..-the activation certificate is empty!

(empty or missing backup-cert.xrm-ms?)

press   (enter) to exite

i dont understan what thats mean    and sorry about my english!!:smileyembarrassed:and thanks again! 

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 3 of 29 (44,296 Views)

ervis,

Before formatting the hard drive you should have been able to use the HP Recovery Manager to create your recovery discs or perform a system recovery. This is provided the recovery partition wasn't already corrupt or damaged. If the "D:" HP Recovery partition is missing or damaged and you don't have a set of HP Recovery Discs, you will need to use the information in my previous post to get your computer up and running again.

The information in the document referred you to applies to several different "types" of installations;

Using ABRbeta is only needed if you have an active OEM factory SLP (system locked preactivated) installation of Windows. You use ABR to pull the factory key and certificate off the computer, to reuse it on the same computer with a clean Windows install.

If you are just installing Windows and are going to use the Windows 7 product key on the COA on the side of your computer, all you need to do is download the same version of Windows that your key is for and burn the ISO. Now install Windows answering or following all prompts as needed (except do not enter the Windows product at this time... it will be entered later). Once Windows has completely installed, enter the key and activate it. Your Windows 7 OA key should work on a SP1 install without issue.

The only thing I see that could mess things up, is the language of the install. If you are still having trouble activating Windows, please reference the ISO you download and a post a photo of your Windows COA

with the key erased or Xed out.

Please send KUDOs

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

Top Student
ervis
Message 4 of 29 (44,277 Views)

hello, here it is my iso that i downloaded and burned with imgburn (  X17-58997) when i install it i install in english language  .

x64
Part- X17-58997
en_windows_7_home_premium_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676549.iso
SHA1: 6C9058389C1E2E5122B7C933275F963EDF1C07B9
ISO/CRC: 4A182640
http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso

and yeah i need this iso (X16-96072)  where can i downloaded it  can you tell me some avalaible  legally links!! i really appreciate!!.thanks again..:smileywink:

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 5 of 29 (44,259 Views)

[ Edited ]

ervis,

I suspect that the issue may be that OEM keys, such as the one on your computer, only work with the correct version and language of Windows installation. I am completely confident that your OEM key will work with a Windows 7 SP1 image but it needs to be the correct version and language. I have done dozens of installations using Windows 7 SP1 ISOs and activating the install with the original key from the COA.

The problem appears that there isn't an Italian Home Premium version listed. I have updated my original post to include links to another list of ISOs, another Windows 7 guide, and a "ei.cfg Removal Utility". Most Windows 7 ISOs contain most versions (Basic, Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate) of Windows 7. The "ei" bit determines which version of Windows is installed by the disc. This tool removes the "ei" bit from the ISO and allows the ISO to act like a universal installer.

For example, if you download Windows Professional 64-bit Italian (X17-24297 or X17-59215, provided your COA doesn't list E,N, or K on it) and you run the "ei.cfg" tool on the ISO, the ei.cfg bit will be masked and the "new" ISO will allow installation of Windows 7 Basic, Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate. Just remember that you still need a vaild key for the version you install.

As far as the X16-96072 ISO is concerned, I can't help you and I don't think anyone else can either. To the best of my knowledge, all of the original Windows 7 non-SP1 ISOs have been removed and replace by the SP1 ISOs. At this point, all I can say is download a version of Win 7 Pro Italian 64-bit, use the "ei.cfg tool" on it, and burn that. Now install Windows, selecting Home Premium and hope for the best. Only enter the key after Windows is complete installed... you may need to call the Microsoft for phone activation.

I would still like you to take a photo of your COA and cross out / black out the 25 digit key, then post it to this thread. This would allow me to see if I notice anything unusual that could be causing your issues.

Please send KUDOs

Frank

Student
dosena
Message 6 of 29 (44,252 Views)

i have this here my HP notebook laptop im having a problem whenever i open it no Windows 7 appearing on the screen instead installed devices are appearing then all HP programs wont access at all. what can do to fix it without using windows installation disc?

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 7 of 29 (44,194 Views)

Hello dosena.

I want to make sure I understand your issue.  Are you able to boot into Windows at all?

What computer do you have?  This document can show you how to identify it by the product number.

I'll keep an eye out for your reply.  Have a lovely day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Student
Hk_Neo
Message 8 of 29 (40,193 Views)

Hey! I'm using Sony vaio note book laptop, its current version is windows 7 and its been working fine last night, and now when I'm logining in it says, 'The user profile service failed the logon, user profile cannot be loaded' I have imp files on my lappy, I need my system to be clean as new, what do i do,
Top Student
ervis
Message 9 of 29 (39,972 Views)

hello , lasvegaswireman THANK YOU for your helpful posts but it doesnt matter for me now because i already bought an windows 8 pro os ,and this time with my lucky  dvd installation disc  so i will never go to have troubles  any way i will try and let you know if this ("ei.cfg Removal Utility") works with me!!! CIAO!!

Honor Student
dedward2
Message 10 of 29 (34,571 Views)

I have the disk    it will not install in windows 7

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation