Question

coa Honor Student
Honor Student
coa
Message 1 of 5 (642 Views)

Installing Windows 7 to replace XP

I want to install Windows 7 to replace XP on my HP7530 Media centre pc. Do I install it into the "D" recovery partition or on to the main "C" partition?

Many thanks

coa

Professor
Mister_Do
Message 2 of 5 (639 Views)

Re: Installing Windows 7 to replace XP

Hi coa,

Put it on the C partition.

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
Dean
Vidya
Message 3 of 5 (639 Views)

It is recommended to install Windows 7 on C drive. Ensure you have the XP Recovery kit prior doing an upgrade.

Also, please check if your system is compatible with Windows 7, running Windows 7 Upgrade advisor on your system. If will list the incompatible software and hardware...

Here is the link to download Windows 7 Upgrade advisor:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1B544E90-7659-4BD9-9E51-2497C146AF15&displa...

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
Grad Student
Bynar
Message 4 of 5 (637 Views)

Hi coa,

The "D:" partition is the recovery partition that came on your system, and it would be too small to contain Windows 7.  You'll need to install it on the C: partition.  If you're looking to wipe XP out altogether (and you already have a set of recovery discs for XP should something go wrong), then you can delete both partitions on your hard drive during the installation process in order to reclaim some of that space.  Windows 7 will not do an in-place upgrade of XP, so you'll need to do a clean install anyway.

Were you thinking of dual-booting between XP and Windows 7, or just going straight over to Windows 7?

Although I am an HP Employee, the advice given here is my own, and not necessarily that of HP's.

Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly.
Ula Honor Student
Honor Student
Ula
Message 5 of 5 (565 Views)

Coa,

You should install Win7 on the C partition, with a "Custom" install.

After that, you can restore your XP apps and files using Zinstall XP7.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation