Question

RSR Student
Student
RSR
Message 1 of 5 (6,978 Views)
Accepted Solution

Lost my windows xp os cd

[ Edited ]

Can someone help me on the below problem.

I bought a HP desktop with preinstall OS (Microsoft XP Home edition) some year back. Now my PC is having a problem due to which it requires reinstallation of OS. But to my surprise i not able to locate my OS cd which came as part of my PC.

Can someone tell me how i can reinstall my OS without the original CD.

Note : My PC on boot goes only till the first screen where Windows logo appears not any further.

Message Edited by RSR on 11-18-2009 12:35 AM
Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 5 (6,959 Views)

Re: Lost my windows xp os cd

RSR, you can contact HP Customer Service to see if the discs are still available for your computer.  They will need the model number.  Here is a guide that will give you all of the information that you need.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 5 (6,942 Views)

You didn't mention what model you have, but the links below may help.

HP System Recovery in Windows XP:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&docname=bph07145&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USE...

Creating Recovery Disc Set in XP:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&rule=69&product=3696841&docna...

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Student
mike3286
Message 4 of 5 (4,726 Views)

So where can I purchase a recovery CD if HP no longer carries recovery disks for my computer?

Intern
padyboy
Message 5 of 5 (1,526 Views)

Don't bother with microsoft.

First they assured an os disk would be shipped; when it failed to arrive, they claimed they were no longer providing support in this regard. No os disk was included with the desktop initially.

I am now fored to seek a pirate copy on the Internet. I would have thought that ms would be discouraging this sort of thing. Perhaps sales of Win 7, 8, 9... are not going so well.

I am off to the Internet to find what I must, legal or not.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation