Question

Student
Country_girl
Message 1 of 4 (2,491 Views)

My compaq makes beeping sound and won't load up

I have a Compaq Presario XP desktop computer home edition version 2002 cpu 250 GHz  0.99 GB Ram .

My problem is that it started making a slow beep noise and nothing will come up on screen, i shut it down and started back up and still nothing.
Someone told me to take out the memory and put it back in,i did and it fixed the problem for awhile.then it done it again .

What can i do to fix this problem perm?
Also the date and time are constantly changing to a different year and time after a hibernation or a shut down.

Professor
1badGuard
Message 2 of 4 (2,507 Views)

Re: My compaq makes beeping sound and won't load up

You need to replace the cmos battery. What's the model number?
Teacher
Tech_Head
Message 3 of 4 (2,414 Views)

you mentioned beeping...  is there any groupin and what is the length?  eg 2 long beeps and 3 short beeps or whatever.  this can be a diagnostic code.
Caveat: I will try to help... I don't know everything...but I try my hardest!!!

Please give kudos if I helped, and mark it as solved if I fixed you...or your problem...:smileyvery-happy:
Provost
erico
Message 4 of 4 (2,380 Views)

Try a single stick of memory. Also turn off hibernation. It is a power saving mode that has a tendancy to corrupt files. dmhoo is right about the CMOS battery. Date and Time error message is positive indication of cMOS battery failure. The replacement bettery will be a CR2032 that you can purchase at a drug store.

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation