Question

Honor Student
mirror3106
Message 1 of 4 (152 Views)

Piece of Junk

I have had my h9-1320t for over a month. I hate it! I have had a Dell with Windows XP for years. The new HP is practically usless - likely because of Windows 7 Operating System. I cannot transfer programs from the Dell into the HP. I have bought the transfer cable and used it, but only partial transfer was achieved. None of my e-mail or address book transfered. Fortunately, the Dell is still operating!! I await Windows 8, but I wonder if it will improve my plght.

Associate Dean
REO51ST
Message 2 of 4 (123 Views)

Re: Piece of Junk

[ Edited ]

Welcome Mirror.

You can not transfer programs from one computer to another.

They must be reinstalled on the new computer.

When they are installed they will create components in your registry to run the program.

When you just transfer a program it will not set-up the registry to run that program.

To transfer e-mail you must export from the old computer then import your e-mail files to the new computer

Hope that helps clear up some of your problems.

We at the HP forum try to make your HP experience the best.

****Click the Thumbs up to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

HP Expert Tester "Now testing HP Pavilion 15t i3-4030U Win8.1, 6GB RAM and 750GB HDD"
Microsoft Registered Refurbisher
Registered Microsoft Partner
Apple Certified Macintosh Technician Certification in progress.
Honor Student
mirror3106
Message 3 of 4 (111 Views)

Thanks for the comment. Seems to make a mockery about transfer cables and their related programs.

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 4 of 4 (109 Views)

The main purpose of the transfer cable is to allow the transfer of data, not programs.  Easy to move pictures and documents.  Since Windows 7 uses a different email software, the actual transfer may be more difficult unless you are using something like Thunderbird on both computers.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation