Restoring Recovery Manager & F11 System Recovery lost due to Clean (Custom) Win 7 Installation (20832 Views)
Top Student
StuartS
Message 1 of 10 (20,832 Views)

Restoring Recovery Manager & F11 System Recovery lost due to Clean (Custom) Win 7 Installation

I want to share a number of learnings for anyone who, like me, dared to defy HP instructions and install Windows 7 through a custom (aka clean) install.  My situation: I have an HP Pavilion Elite e9180t with Vista Home Premium 64 bit.  It has a D: partition with a backup Vista OS and most of the pre-installed software like Norton and MS Works.  This is all accessible through a Recovery Manager program, which can also restore the computer to the "out-of-the-box" condition.  F11 during the boot startup does the same (but read on as this will fail after Win 7 install.)

I installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with a custom install, but did NOT reformat the C: partition and DID have a Window.old file after the install.  Of course you lose all of your original pre-installed software.  The HP Upgrade Assistant disk will run after the clean install and restore some but not all of the software (included is HP Easy Backup, HP Media Smart, HP Update, and the PC Doctor/Hardware Diagnostic Tool).  The Recovery Manager is not included, so they leave you without an easy way to pull the other factory-installed software off the D: partition.  

The first work around is to go to "Run" and enter: D:\HP\APPS.  Voila the APPS directory appears.  If you snoop around you can find the installation executables for most of the software.  I restored Norton Internet Security and MS Works.  The one Cyberlink program I tried would not install however.  

But what about restoring back to Vista and all the other neat things the Recover Manager did?  Here is the trick (at least it worked for me.)  Go to Windows.old (or other complete backup you may have made before the Windows 7 install) and copy the entire folder: Program Files (x86)\SMINST into the Program Files (x86) of Win 7.  Create a shortcut to "C:\Program Files (x86)\SMINST\RMControlPanelLauncher.exe" and add to your desktop, program file directory, etc.  This opens the main Recovery Manager menu that takes you through a series of questions.  [There does not seem to be anything to install, you just run it at will.  Go figure....]

But this will not fix the F11 function, which will no longer send the system into the Recovery Manager during the boot.  (It does nothing and your maching will load Windows as normal.)  Here is where HP provided some help.  Find and install the HP Recovery Manager Application Update sp44455.exe.  This will run only after you restore SMINST and will permit F11 to work as it previously did (at least it did for me.)

I hope this helps you if you want to get everything back on your maching after a clean Win 7 install.

Student
realdridge1
Message 2 of 10 (20,530 Views)

Re: Restoring Recovery Manager & F11 System Recovery lost due to Clean (Custom) Win 7 Installati

Thank you!    Several support sessions with HP were fruitless on this issue.  You've answered a question I've had.  Thanks!

Student
lilb0i510
Message 3 of 10 (20,325 Views)

Re: Restoring Recovery Manager & F11 System Recovery lost due to Clean (Custom) Win 7 Installati

What if i can't access D:\HP\APPS? I did actually what you did; I made a clean installation and now im lost on how to gain access to my recovery manager-.-.

Top Student
StuartS
Message 4 of 10 (20,289 Views)

Update on my message:  you may need to use a different command to start the recovery manager:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\SMINST\Restore7.exe"  Not sure why but depending on the order you perform the HP update  programs I think this becomes the correct executable to launch recover manager.

To "lilb0i510" I can't tell what is not working for you.  What happens when you go to "Run" and enter: D:\HP\APPS? 

PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 5 of 10 (20,167 Views)

Student
Sami473
Message 6 of 10 (18,631 Views)

i dont have program files SMINST i only have program files and how do i Create a shortcut to "C:\Program Files (x86)\SMINST\RMControlPanelLauncher.exe" and add to your desktop, program file directory,

Top Student
StuartS
Message 7 of 10 (18,574 Views)

When you performed the clean install, did you save Windows.old or otherwise backup the files (including the Program Files (x86) folder)?  If yes then you will find the SMINST folder and copy the entire folder in you Win 7 Program Files (x86) folder.  If you did not save Windows.old or otherwise backup (or if you reformatted the hard drive before install) then you no longer have the folder.....

Student
tsanga
Message 8 of 10 (16,897 Views)

Here's something I stumbled onto while trying to restore F11 System Recovery functionality after a clean Win 7 install in the primary partition.

As with the OP, I no longer have Recovery Manager. However, I did a wipe + clean install so I don't have Windows.old. Hence, I was not able to copy over the RM executable, and when I tried to run SP44455.exe, I got an error.

Reading other tips, I was able to use Disk Management to set the still-intact recovery partition as active. On reboot, I was launched into the recovery partition's Recovery Manager.

One of the options available in RM is opening a command prompt. Once the command prompt opens, type setMBR.exe and hit enter.

This restores the ability to use F11 to boot the recovery partition, without having to mark it as active in the future.

Student
Rcal
Message 9 of 10 (1,377 Views)

I found a way around using the recovery manager if you cannot access the program. Open Computer Management which is under Control Panel--> System and Security--> Administrative Tools--> Computer Management. Once there on the left side of the page under Storage open disk management. Last right click on the HP_RECOVERY partition or a different one if you have one then click "set as active" if it gives you a waning press yes. Restart your computer and it should start up.
Hope this helps!
Student
pkirchgessner61
Message 10 of 10 (1,263 Views)

I had an issue where I could not get Windows Update to work and after numerous hours decided to recover using my discs from my upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate to recover. If you do not find the SMINST in your windows.old directory (I did not see one and I did backup my system), look in "C:\Windows.old\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Recovery". (You can copy this whole directory back to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard". I would suggest creating a recovery folder in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Recovery\" and creating 2 shortcuts to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Recovery\RecoveryMgr.exe" (Recovery Manager) and "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Recovery\CDCreator.exe" (Recovery Disc Creation) in the "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Recovery" folder you created. These will now be in your all programs menu. Of course you will need to have the D:\Recovery partition intact. You may still have to recover some other apps from the HP Website (My fingerprint reader driver still needed to be downloaded from HP separately).
  I have not figured out how to get the F11 functioning again, but at least I have recovery working again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation