Question

Top Student
YogiOz
Message 1 of 63 (71,285 Views)
Accepted Solution

Windows 7 and HP Image Zone software

[ Edited ]

I have a new Pavilion s5212y w/Windows 7 and an HP Photosmart 8450 printer that comes with HP Image Zone software for editing pictures.  The software isn't supported by Win 7, won't install (tells me to upgrade op-sys).  Is there a work around for this or will the software be made compatible with the new system?  Don't misunderstand, the printer works fine, it's just that I can't use the software to edit pictures before printing.  Thanks.

Distinguished Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 2 of 63 (71,250 Views)

Re: Windows 7 and HP Image Zone software

There are lots of good free image managing and editing programs out there that are compatible with Windows 7.

If you like stuff from Google, try Picasa.

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Top Student
YogiOz
Message 3 of 63 (71,245 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the speedy reply, I've downloaded Picasa and it looks pretty cool to me, BUT here's the problem.  It's my wife who uses the software and she likes the Image Zone features.  I've downloaded half a dozen programs and she's rejected all of them.  She won't be happy until she gets Image Zone back, and we all know that if mama's not happy, nobody's happy.

I'll show her Picasa and hope she likes it but in the end, she wants Image Zone.  I'm not learned enough to grasp the technology but it seems it shouldn't be too hard to make the program compatible.  Shows you what I know, huh?

Once again thanks for the reply.

Intern
quiller
Message 4 of 63 (71,238 Views)

Go to the scanning section and see if the posted fix for a 4850 works for you.  You'll need to find the software package for your machine in Vista.

Be sure to right click the install icon after you download it and select the compatibility tab.  The instructions are in the above post.

Top Student
YogiOz
Message 5 of 63 (71,192 Views)

Thanks quiller, unfortunately the Vista software doesn't contain the Image Zone software, only the basic driver, etc.   I had previously seen that post but it seems the only place I can find the Image Zone software is here :      http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ps-51588-4&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&...

I have the original disc but of course it won't install.

Thanks again.

Master's Graduate
sumsolstice
Message 6 of 63 (71,134 Views)

You might want to give HP PhotoSmart Essentials a try:

http://www.hp.com/united-states/consumer/digital_photography/free/software/?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

-dm (an HP employee, but the time/comments/suggestions here are my own, not my employers)

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
Top Student
YogiOz
Message 7 of 63 (71,091 Views)

Thanks sumsolstice, I had already looked at that one and showed it to the wife.  She kind of liked it but it doesn't have all the features that Image Zone has. 

I appreciate all the help and replies from everyone.

Student
datdatcat
Message 8 of 63 (69,542 Views)

I agree with your wife and am very disappointed that Image Zone is not compatile with Win 7 and no upgrade is available.  It was a great editing tool.  They have an upgrade for MAC users and I'm hoping they'll have one for us soon!

Student
nitalma
Message 9 of 63 (69,373 Views)

I agree with you. My husband is protesting every day since I have win 7. He wants HP Imaze Zone because he likes to work with option project.

He wants that I go back to XP only for it.

Nothing is good to him.

Student
sitsinthestands
Message 10 of 63 (68,950 Views)

Another reason why Image Zone is useful is that it includes an OCR facility which is handy for converting printed documents to an editable electronic document. The basic drivers for a PSC 2510 support scanning of an image only and photo oriented packages such as Picasa, not unreasonably, don't include an OCR element. Has anyone come across a decent optical character recognition package that works well under Windows 7 or is there any prospect that HP Image Zone will be upgraded in its entirety to Windows 7?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation