Question

Honor Student
HBB35
Message 1 of 4 (1,088 Views)

how to remove files from D drive (HP recovery) windows 7, 64 bit.

How do you remove files from the recovery disk D.  Drive D has more GB used than the operating system C.

Thanks!

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 2 of 4 (1,062 Views)

Re: how to remove files from D drive (HP recovery) windows 7, 64 bit.

As is already noted in the title "D drive (HP recovery)" that is what it is there for.   That area should be protected and should not be opened to remove files.  D: is used to return the PC to "Factory Fresh" from the hard drive, basically the same as using the Recovery DVD set that you were instructed to make when the PC was new.  Assuming that the Recovery DVD set is on hand, one would have the option the wipe out the D: Recovery Partition, but that move is highly discouraged and only you are to blame when the PC goes belly up and you can't find the Recovery DVD set.

BTW: the D: Recovery Partition is usually only about 10GB.  What size are you seeing in My Computer for the D: drive?

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Honor Student
HBB35
Message 3 of 4 (1,054 Views)

I have 11.4 GB recovery disk D,  with 1.40 GB free space.  Just seems like a lot of back up for a recovery partition, when I am only using 34 GB for operation of C drive.

Thanks for your help!

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 4 of 4 (1,046 Views)

Seems about right.  The model number of the computer is not given, but I really do not think it a benefit to remove the Recovery D: for the gain of only 11.4 GB vs the rest of the drive, seeing that recent computers have large hard drives.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation