Question

Top Student
Applicants
Message 1 of 26 (47,753 Views)
Accepted Solution

what, if anyting, does pressing the windows flag key and the "r" key do?

Last night some one with a very strong accent called, addressing me by name,  saying he had been contracted to contact people and warn them of a serious problem that affecting many computers.  He wanted me to press my windows flag key and the "r" key at the same time.  Stupid me did, but then became suspicious and hung up on him.  He never called back, and I turned my computer off.  Did I give him access to something?  What do I need to do?

PhD Student
PeaceLily
Message 2 of 26 (47,742 Views)

Re: what, if anyting, does pressing the windows flag key and the "r" key do?

I'm sure that was a scam call, but you hung up before they could do anything malicious to your computer. Pressing the Windows key + R just brings up the "Run" screen. It is completely harmless to bring up "Run," but if you had continued to follow all the steps this guy was about to give you, he probably would have tried to gain remote access to your computer or load a virus or some other awfulness. I'm glad you hung up on him!

Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
I work on behalf of HP.
Provost
DavidPK
Message 3 of 26 (47,739 Views)

Hi,

There's nothing to be concerned about.  Holding down the Windows key and preesing R simply launches the Run Box which is a quick way of accessing certain features or running programs.

There a good list of keyboard shortcuts you can check out on the following link.

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/100-keyboard-shortcuts-windows/

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
Jonathan_Baylis
Message 4 of 26 (47,416 Views)

Same here, I had a similar call, asked me to press the flag and R, which I did, at that stage when he asked me to enter a file address I hung up and turned off my PC, The question I have, how did he get my details and know my PC was on. I have Norton running.
PhD Student
PeaceLily
Message 5 of 26 (47,413 Views)

Did he have any details besides your name and phone number? I would guess that it was just a coincidence that he caught you while your computer was on. I think you are probably safe.

Consider this: If the guy already had enough info to do damage by carrying out whatever sort of scam he was planning, he probably wouldn't need to call you in the first place, right? A scammer would much rather remain completely anonymous and perform their scam without any input from you, without tipping you off to what's going on. 

If all you did was press the Windows key + R, you didn't give him any sensitive information or any control over your computer.

Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
I work on behalf of HP.
Honor Student
Jonathan_Baylis
Message 6 of 26 (47,409 Views)

Thanks so much for getting back so quickly, cheers Jon
Honor Student
MickSara
Message 7 of 26 (46,969 Views)

WARNING:  We have had several of these calls, always different, yet strang numbers - so this time around we wanted to give them a run for their money, we picked up the phone.  We wasted their time and messed with them by playing along with them acting as if we were interested.  First off, the telephone number showed up 3249, Second they told us we had a virus and we needed to supply them wth the error codes.  Third, they asked us to turn our computer on - now, if they knew we were getting these error messages, why didn't the know our computer was ALREADY on? They told us they were from Windows Support out of "Florida Countries". (Last time I checked that was a STATE) Yeah, with a strong India based accent... anyway, when we asked to speak with a supervisor, they offered a technician there was no putting us on hold, or hold music of anykind - just a bunch of background noise and then to another thickly accented person of the same denomination - almost exactly like the first person we spoke to.  Fourth, they asked us to go and press the Windows button and the letter R - now, while on the phone with them I looked it up - turns out the windows button does almost everything pressing the Control button and the letter would do.  Knowing this was a scam - by a gut feeling, we just hung up on them.  By having them enter something into your run files, they can gain access to just about anything - even remote access - and that seems to be their intention. You have access to any and everything on your hard drive.

FIFTH: WINDOWS DOESN'T CALL YOU. You have to call them - I mean thats the joy of being on hold with most companies like Windows, at least you know it IS THE company you should be speaking to.  Obvioulsy, these people have nothing better to do than prey on innocent people, and I def. feel for the people that fall for it.

JUST REMEMBER: If you're NOT computer savvy, don't ever give any info about yourself or computer over the phone.  Your best bet, call the company they claim they're calling from and ask about the call you received immediatley.  Even if you receive strange voicemails - call the number back to see if you can find out who they are, and if not research it and put them on your Do Not Call list of numbers if you're able.

Honor Student
dkperreira
Message 8 of 26 (45,793 Views)

I received a call today with the same scenario around 3:15 PST-actually it was 3 calls as the first 2 disconnected on thier own. The last caller id came up as being private. It was a man with a heavy Indian accent, identifying himself as "Andy Williams"(yeah, right-I should have asked him to sing Moon River!). I asked him how he got my number as it was a private number-he didn't answer me but he had my last name which is scary. He said something about Windows had identified me as a possible hacking incident and said something about their Windows server had a red light & they had traced me thru the ip address. I felt this was bogus & didn't do anything he asked me to do(press the Windows key & the R key). I also told him I have antivirus(Trend Maximum security 2013) with the latest update that includes protection for hacking. I asked him what his number was to call him back & he gave me a number 855-677-5556. I didn't call me back but googled the area code & I believe that this area code would end up charging me for calling it & for all I know it could be India.

This just makes me mad that there are so many scammers out there & more than likely there will be a few victims...

Student
pathfinder38
Message 9 of 26 (41,500 Views)

i had a call from a person who said my computer was being hacked.

i typed in a number of web sites and then they had me press the flag

key and R key. when i did this they put a number of different things

on my computer screen. they listed the cost  of fixing the problem and

cleaning my computer. they seemed to have control of my computer.

when they put the charges on the screen i hung up, and turned off the

computer. when i tried to log in, the screen said i needed a password.

after trying a couple of times i was allowed to start without a password.

should i be worried that they may a left a bug in the computer that would

allow them to steal all my information.

thanks,

PhD Student
PeaceLily
Message 10 of 26 (41,474 Views)

Hi @pathfinder38 -  

It sounds like your computer was in fact hijacked. It's important that you take steps to secure your computer and your personal information as soon as possible -- for example, running virus/malware scans and resetting all your passwords with strong, new passwords. This site offers a number of helpful suggestions and steps for getting back in control of your computer and kicking out the hackers: http://blog.hotspotshield.com/2013/08/28/what-to-do-if-your-computer-has-been-hacked/ (you can ignore the last section about VPNs)

I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation