Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having issues opening my files that I retrieved from my external hard drive. when I try to open the files it tells me that I don't have permission. I am able to right click on single files to change the security settings to open it but it doesn't work when I do it for the whole folder. I can not do it for every file individually because there are thousands of files. I have just finished doing a clean start up to make sure that it is not one of my anti-virus programs. Any ideas??

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@kelhilly

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I ran into a similar problem when I was trying to import files I had saved for one of my kids from their old PC.  Serious permissions issues!

Then, I found this:  http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-take-ownership-and-get-full-access-to-files-and-folders-in-windows-10...

The TakeOwnership button is what really did the trick.  At first, it did not seem to work, but when I rebooted the PC and check the perms again, they had been changed.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.