Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Z 440
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

i have the same problem as mentioned in some other threads on the forum:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Can-t-change-BIOS-settings-after... or http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Can-t-change-BIOS-settings-after...

I need to setup a PC to Win7, that has a trial Version of Windows 10 installed.

My Bios Version is HP M60 2.14 and unfortunately, some bios options like legacy boot are greyed out.

This means that I cannot use my Win7 USB Stick nor the DVD.

I have setup an administrator password and also an MEBx password, but am not able to enable these options.

In contrast to these other threads, where the solution was to login as guest user and then enter the admin password, i do not get an login option before or in bios.

I can startup directly into the Bios Options, but cant find an option to switch user.

Thank you for your help!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Is there any other way of contacting support?

I am still unable to install Windows 7 on this HP PC as it does not recognize any boot media (USB or CD) as valid.
It is definitly not the fault of the Stick or the CD as they worked properly on my non HP PC.

HP Recommended
In order to change the legacy boot options you must first disable the secure boot setting
*****I do not work for HP*****
*****click the purple thumbs up button to say thanks*****
*****If I solved your problem, help others by clicking accept as solution*****
HP Recommended

You will need to change the secure boot config  to  "Enable Legacy boot, disable secure boot" in the Advanced tab.

SAVE  then exit BIOS. 

the TRICKY !    next step when  BIOS opens is a series of beeps  with a 4 digit  code to verify disable Secure boot option change.

** **enter the 4 digit code that is generated & diplayed by the BIOS,  only MAKE Sure  the code you enter is displayed as you type / enter  because  the Numeric / NumLock keypad is  OFF -  TRICKY !!!   ****

return then to Advanced tab  to change the Boot Option/order  .... then   check the box for Enble Lagacy Boot.

This  tricky BIOS   got  me GOOD,  I even opened a HP Case to FIX  this. I thought BIOS was busted  / F*&^% up. 

Not so  .....   it  was just  that trickey dickey ........  disable secure boot  option  !!!

HP Recommended

Thank you, I will try this, but as far as i remember, after disabling secureboot/enabling legacy boot and saving + restart, it just starts normally into BIOS without any popups asking for a code. Legacy Boot is still deactivated afterwards.

HP Recommended

Thanks Rambling-Jack! 

My issue was after "enable legacy boot..." I was attempting to use the number pad w/out enabling it with the number lock key... You can also use the number keys on your top horizontol row of keyboard - you can tell the number key input is working becuase the numbers will display on the bios screen. 

Read the Effing Manual!!!
HP Recommended

Thanks 

HP Recommended

Thank you rambling-jack!!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.