Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 700 215xt
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

For the last two weeks, my HP Envy Desk Top has been freezing and crashing.  I have lost the CTRL+ALT+DLT function as well as the restore point function.  Every day I have a range of error messages ranging from Kernel-Power 41 (63) to a several drivers that are not functioning.  The computer runs perfectly in safe mode.  My computer came with Windows 7.  I have backed up my hard drive and would like instructions on how to boot from the recovery partition.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Al

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

What event happened before this began?

If the PC runs perfectly in safe mode that would indicate to me that  it is fixable.

Perhaps an update has dinked your windows OS with the installation of a new driver or an update. 

Are you using an antivirus or antimalware software product? You should be able to remove the updates one at a time.

See the following tutorial at the How-to-Geek

https://www.howtogeek.com/206271/how-to-roll-back-or-uninstall-a-problematic-windows-update/

Try that before going directly to recovering the PC.  That is a bit harsh of a step to take if not necessary.

The other member's advice is not what I would call good advice.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

> I would like instructions on how to boot from the recovery partition.

Turn the computer off.

Turn the computer on.

Immediately, repeatedly press one of the following: ESC, F1, F2, F10, F11, F12, DELETE, ENTER.

The intent is to show a "Repair My System" menu, where you can choose to boot from the Recovery Partition.

If you've pressed the "wrong" key, just repeat the whole process, choosing a different key.

HP Recommended

What event happened before this began?

If the PC runs perfectly in safe mode that would indicate to me that  it is fixable.

Perhaps an update has dinked your windows OS with the installation of a new driver or an update. 

Are you using an antivirus or antimalware software product? You should be able to remove the updates one at a time.

See the following tutorial at the How-to-Geek

https://www.howtogeek.com/206271/how-to-roll-back-or-uninstall-a-problematic-windows-update/

Try that before going directly to recovering the PC.  That is a bit harsh of a step to take if not necessary.

The other member's advice is not what I would call good advice.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Al

HP Recommended

Good Morning

Let me begin by saying that I misspoke.  I am not able tos not wo create a restore point in safe mode.  I too agree that reformatting is a bit harsh but my inability to solve this problem prompted me to ask that question.  I will try your suggestions, however, (uninstalling updates, etc) first.  I didn't realize that a restore point can be established via the recovery disk route.

At any rate, thank you for responding.  I will let you know how I make out.

Al

HP Recommended

Safe mode is not a place to create a recovery point.

Safe mode is a place to access system restore.

You can use the checkpoints that were created before going to safe mode was a necessity to restore your PC to good working order.

HP Recommended

>>  I have backed up my hard drive and would like instructions on how to boot from the recovery partition.

> The other member's advice is not what I would call good advice.

Ouch! 

The original author has completed the necessary file-backup, has asked for instructions, and has received to-the-point instructions.

What is "not good" about directly addressing the author's question?

HP Recommended

Your suggestions to uninstall Windows updates was absolutely brilliant.  Quite honestly, I had worked on trying to solve this problem for two or three days and the results were going no where.  Your suggested approach set me on the right path and my computer is now working like a new machine.

BTW, I also found an ActiveX control on my computer.  My understanding is it can also be a problem.

At any rate, if f I ever run into a similar problem, one of the first things I will try is uninstall a recent update.

Thank you.

Al

HP Recommended

You answered the question I asked and I appreciate that.

Al

HP Recommended

The ActiveX control is something that was needed in the past to run some applications.

It is no longer needed and even dispensed with in Microsoft Edge.

Were you using Internet Explorer when you saw an Active X message?

My suggestion is to use Opera, Chrome and Firefox browsers instead.

It ws my pleasure to help you. That is the reason we are here.  If you need us again, come back and see us!

🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.