Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 550-127C
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can PC3-14900 MEMORY BE USED instead of PC3-14400

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@jah1350

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂

I understand from your post that you have an HP Pavilion Desktop - 550-127c and would like to know if the PC3-14900 memory can be used instead of the PC3-14400. I'll be glad to answer this for you.

I did some research and found that  PC3-14900 memory is not on the recommended list of compatible memories for this PC. You may view the memory upgrade information in the Motherboard specifications

Hope this helps. Feel free to reach out for any further assistance. Cheers! 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@jah1350

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂

I understand from your post that you have an HP Pavilion Desktop - 550-127c and would like to know if the PC3-14900 memory can be used instead of the PC3-14400. I'll be glad to answer this for you.

I did some research and found that  PC3-14900 memory is not on the recommended list of compatible memories for this PC. You may view the memory upgrade information in the Motherboard specifications

Hope this helps. Feel free to reach out for any further assistance. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

> Can PC3-14900 MEMORY BE USED instead of PC3-14400 ?

Depends on the manufacturer of the RAM.

Most RAM chips have a 'SPD' chip, which specifies at which speeds, lower than the "rated" speed, that the RAM will use.

For example, for my RAM ...

Type DDR3
Size 4096 MBytes
Manufacturer Corsair
Max Bandwidth PC3-10700H (667 MHz)

Timing table

Frequency CAS# Latency RAS# To CAS# RAS# Precharge tRAS tRC Voltage
JEDEC #1 444.4 MHz 6.0 6 6 16 23 1.500 V
JEDEC #2 592.6 MHz 8.0 8 8 22 30 1.500 V
JEDEC #3 666.7 MHz 9.0 9 9 24 34 1.500 V

So, if you buy from the "correct" manufacturer, your PC-14900 RAM will slow itself down to PC3-14400 speed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.