Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Mini CQ
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I received a Compaq Mini CQ10-500 and want it to use for playing music only. It came with Windows 7 Starter and by mistake I did a clean installation of Windows 10 (32bit). That did not work fine. So I wanted to go back to the factory-installation but Win 10 corrupted my recoverypartition. The recov.manager does not recognize this partition anymore. Getting an Iso-file from Microsoft does not work because of the wrong HP-code. I see windows.old on the c:\ drive but Win 10 does not offer a solution for a backdrawal, probably by using the clean install instead of upgrading.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

This site claims to have genuine, unadulterated W7 ISO files for download...

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

Click on the link labeled Windows ISO Downloader.exe

You can use either the:

Win 7 Starter SP1 or the (Retail version, but the  OEM key on your PC's case will work with it)

Win 7 Starter SP1 COEM (This version would be for what HP would have used--System Builder)

N is for European Union (EU) countries.

K is for South Korean markets.

Then you can use this tool to transfer the file to a 4 GB USB flash drive or a DVD.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

HP Recommended

Thanks for the links. I could make a flashdisk with Win 7 starter. But my code at the bottom was not validated by Windows.

So next question: I still got base.wim on D:\recovery. Is there an idiot-proof  way to use it for reinstalling? Is there a trick that tells recoverymgr.exe where to find this image?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

What country do you live in, and what version of W7 Starter did you try to install?

The product key should have worked with the right langage version and N or non N version, unless it was used on another PC.

You need to make sure you get the right version of Windows based on country location.

Unfortunately, I would have no idea how you can get the recovery partition to work.

HP Recommended

Maybe that's the clou: I got Windows 7 starter SNPC OA Dutch version.

The images on the website give me only the chance to download an english iso.

So I have to try to use a tool from the same site to make my windows-iso international.

I live in the Netherlands.

HP Recommended

Yes, you're right.

I didn't know that, because on the other editions, you can get any language.

You can try the English COEM Starter N version since the Netherlands is part of the EU, but if that doesn't work, unfortunately, the only other thing you could do would be to see if the HP e-Partner sells recovery disks for your model.

http://www.best2serve.com/page/rcd_landing

HP Recommended

Thanks for all the advises. Nothing worked,  because the printed OEM code was/is not accepted by Microsoft.

The page with recoverydisks does not recognize my model (XE926EA #ABH) so I am going to buy a new win 10 home license. It was worth trying;)

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry that didn't work.

I do not think W10 will work on that model.

I do not believe the graphics will work on W10.

I would not risk buying it.

HP Recommended

Thanks for all your advice. I tried it with Windows 10 Pro and it worked, but not very fast. Now I have installed another Win 7 Home 64 bit edition and it works on an acceptable speed with a Evo 840 SSD. For my last vacation, a week ago, that was enough.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.