Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
BV605AA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My computer will take several starts before it comes up. When it does it will run awhile then shut down again.  Think I need a recovery disc or something to reinstall. Help.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

> My computer will take several starts before it comes up.

Are you saying that when you turn it on, it does not even start to boot into Windows?

Are you saying that Windows starts to load, then fails to completely load?

The "multiple-reboot" symptom could be a "failing" motherboard or power-supply. 

How old is the computer?

> When it does it will run awhile then shut down again.  

This symptom could be an overheating motherboard (failed cooling fan? dust-clogged fan?)

Does it "shutdown", or does it "freeze", forcing a power-off/power-on cycle.

> Think I need a recovery disc or something to reinstall.

I think that you have "hardware" problems, and trying to change "software" will not bring you to a solution.

HP Recommended

Hello

Is PC a Pavilion Slimline s5713w?

PC made by HP in 2010.

A recovery would be wise to see if operating system or driver corruption is cause. You can try steps use of this HP How to.

Back up before doing  recovery.

No recovery discs from HP for this system are available.

But maybe problem is possible hardware with age of PC.

Suspects are power supply or heat (motherboard or CPU).

Restoredisk.com has a recovery discs for you.

The recovery set is there. You must input all info to get to the purchase option. Let me know if you have trouble, I can help with this.

GRzy

HP Recommended
Thanks for the info. I think it is power supply. Fans seem to be working properly. Just love this pc and would hate to have to get new one with windows 10. My neighbor is tech savvy so I might have him look at it. Thanks again for your help.
HP Recommended

> .. would hate to have to get new one with windows 10. 

Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7 after April 2020 -- just over 3 years from today.

At that time, you'll have to start using Windows 10.

If a "new" one is outside of your budget, consider either:

* finding a computer-store that leases computers for a 3-year term to businesses.

When the lease ends, the computer is returned to the store, "refurbished", and sold at a good discount;

* access: www.bestbuy.com and do a search for "refurbished desktop computers".

These are "newish" computers that were sold, broke, were sent back to the factory, "refurbished", and now are available for sale, again at a good discount.

HP Recommended

Hello

Power supply must provide proper voltage to all components on all rails.

Fans require less power to run. Motherboard/CPU run on different rail than fans.

Grzy

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.