Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion slimline s5123w
Microsoft Windows Vista

The computer turned off on its own after approx 15 min. It had been running slow and the CPU was staying at 100% usage. The computer is bare bones factory set up. I just purchaed second hand from a 5th grader  who only used it for school learning programs. ---  Ive added only search engines. Opera - Safari and - Modzilla

I performed the suggested steps shown on HP online troubleshooting. If I need a new power supply, what exactly is the part in the computer and can I purchace I new one?

PS When it gets up and running, what part do tou suggest that I can I relace/upgrade to run faster? NOTE: Im Poor

Steps Ive performed:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your computer: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-slimline-s5100-desktop-pc-series/3942804/model/4006...

I looked at the "manuals", but none of them contain any specific information on the HP part-numbers for each of the components, especially the power-supply.

Or: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-slimline-s5100-desktop-pc-series/3942804/model/4006...

indicates that your computer was manufactured in June 2009, or later.

This implies that the current disk-drive is very old.

Would you drive your automobile on 8-year-old tires, or would you replace them, before they "blew" ?

Before your current disk-drive "dies", and you lose all your personal files, see my recommendation (at the end of this post) to replace your computer.  Extract the disk-drive from your computer, and connect it to the new computer, and copy all your files onto the replacement computer.

If you don't "replace", your only option is to access:   http://PartSurfer.HP.COM

to try a search, based on your model-number, for replacement parts.

Note that Microsoft's support for Windows Vista ended yesterday (April 12, 2017).

Microsoft may possibly remove all information about Vista, including security-updates, from Windows Update.

Certainly, Microsoft's "Security Essentials" anti-virus has (deliberately!) stopped working -- disabled "realtime  protection" and no more anti-virus definitions.

Also, earlier this month, people were complaining that Windows Update, running on Windows Vista SP2, was taking 5 to 7 days to run.  Yes, days!  A few people were saying that the CPU-usage during the week was 100% on one of the processors of the "dual-core" CPU, and that the computer was running "hot".

So, maybe, it's time for you to replace your computer.

If you're in the USA, access:  www.bestbuy.com    and do a search for "refurbished desktop computer".

They have "refurbished" computers, running Windows 7 or 10, for as little as $100 US.

(You could spend over $50 US when buying a replacement power-supply.)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Your computer: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-slimline-s5100-desktop-pc-series/3942804/model/4006...

I looked at the "manuals", but none of them contain any specific information on the HP part-numbers for each of the components, especially the power-supply.

Or: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-slimline-s5100-desktop-pc-series/3942804/model/4006...

indicates that your computer was manufactured in June 2009, or later.

This implies that the current disk-drive is very old.

Would you drive your automobile on 8-year-old tires, or would you replace them, before they "blew" ?

Before your current disk-drive "dies", and you lose all your personal files, see my recommendation (at the end of this post) to replace your computer.  Extract the disk-drive from your computer, and connect it to the new computer, and copy all your files onto the replacement computer.

If you don't "replace", your only option is to access:   http://PartSurfer.HP.COM

to try a search, based on your model-number, for replacement parts.

Note that Microsoft's support for Windows Vista ended yesterday (April 12, 2017).

Microsoft may possibly remove all information about Vista, including security-updates, from Windows Update.

Certainly, Microsoft's "Security Essentials" anti-virus has (deliberately!) stopped working -- disabled "realtime  protection" and no more anti-virus definitions.

Also, earlier this month, people were complaining that Windows Update, running on Windows Vista SP2, was taking 5 to 7 days to run.  Yes, days!  A few people were saying that the CPU-usage during the week was 100% on one of the processors of the "dual-core" CPU, and that the computer was running "hot".

So, maybe, it's time for you to replace your computer.

If you're in the USA, access:  www.bestbuy.com    and do a search for "refurbished desktop computer".

They have "refurbished" computers, running Windows 7 or 10, for as little as $100 US.

(You could spend over $50 US when buying a replacement power-supply.)

HP Recommended
Thanks professor. I suppose you're right about finding a replacement Tower. I'm just a little bummed because I bought the computer less than a week ago. Just bad timing I guess. Thanks
HP Recommended

> I bought the computer less than one week ago.

> I just purchaed second hand from a 5th grader  who only used it for school learning programs.

Tough luck, indeed.  I hope that you didn't pay too much.

I hate to say it, but, a few years ago, there was a TV game-show titled "are you smarter than a 5th grader?"

You might try downloading the UBUNTU variant of Linux, and selecting the "Live CD" option.

You can run UBUNTU, and that option does NOT "touch" any of the files on your disk-drive.

UBUNTU is a "supported" operating system.

HP Recommended
Solved, thanks for the suggestion. That happens when you buy from a private party. I took a chance and lost this one. Oh well Life Goes On.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.