Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY 700-147C
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
DM  opens to a blank display with the above message displayed below & goes nowhere.  If I do a restart the PC it will hang while displaying 'Restarting" making me to do a forced power shutdown. However, if I do a straight "Shutdown" it will go down & allow me to start normally. I restarted in Safe Mode & the problem remained.  I have Backup4All set to run every Sunday to an Inateck USB "cradle" that holds 2 external SATA disks. I frequently forget to turn on the Inatec on Sunday & later I  see the error message that the baclkup was unsuccessful because it couldn't find the target. That's never a problem.  However, today, Sun, I was on the PC when the message appeared that B4All could not find the backup disk so I turned on the device (should be no problem) & went to Explorer to see if the letters appeared & Explorer began to hang.   I then  started DM & that's when I noticed the problem. I also tried to shutdown B4all during this time so I don't know if the combination of procedures could have initiated this. I can still function  but I feel crippled & don't know what other consequences there might from this. Any help appreciated.

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: AMD A10-6700 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 21 Model 19 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 11445 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 8670D, 768 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 910 GB (163 GB Free); 😧 18 GB (2 GB Free); Q: 1863 GB (899 GB Free);
Motherboard: MSI, 2AE0
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Problem solved. I found that "Cyberlink Virtual Drive" was disabled on startup. Thanks for the help.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

snoopcat1

Disk Management will hang if it encounters either of the following when scanning the drives:

1) Drive with a corrupted filesystem -- usually spotted by seeing RAW in the disk management entry for that drive when the window finally opens

2) Failed drive with no readable file system -- may show RAW, or may simply hang indefinitely

Please follow the instructions in this link to test the drives:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

That should tell you if any of the drives have failed.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I could not find any diagnostic tools labeled "Primary Hard Drive Self Test." I pressed F10 to enter diagnostic mode & there were some HDD tests. I ran the tool for "All Drives" but it showed nothing wrong.  Maybe there's an other menu I shoud follow?

HP Recommended

Problem solved. I found that "Cyberlink Virtual Drive" was disabled on startup. Thanks for the help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.