Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 19 All in one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does HP make unsolicited calls to it's customers?  I got a call from someone claiming to be from HP telling me that my computer was not accepting updates.  I was quite skeptical as I have received these "fake" support calls before.  However, the agent knew the label that I had given my computer.  Thanks for any and all info.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MichaelAltoona

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

The short answer is NO -- HP does not call folks, or for that matter, e-mail folks, about problems with their PCs.

This is a scam designed to cripple your PC so that you will have to then pay money to restore it to working condition.

These folks seemed to have captured information on HP customers, although it is not know how they have done that.

You were smart to check here before giving in to their pressures.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@MichaelAltoona

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

The short answer is NO -- HP does not call folks, or for that matter, e-mail folks, about problems with their PCs.

This is a scam designed to cripple your PC so that you will have to then pay money to restore it to working condition.

These folks seemed to have captured information on HP customers, although it is not know how they have done that.

You were smart to check here before giving in to their pressures.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

> ... the agent knew the label that I had given my computer.  Thanks for any and all info.

Since you asked for "all" info ...

For a computer directly-connected to the Internet (directly to a cable-modem or DSL-modem),

where that "modem" box is NOT a "combination" box consisting of both a wireless router and modem,

where "file-sharing" is enabled within Windows, then the 'NBTSTAT' command in Windows might show information like:

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name               Type         Status
    ---------------------------------------------
    DONALDJTRUMP   <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WORKGROUP      <00>  GROUP       Registered
    DONALDJTRUMP   <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WORKGROUP      <1E>  GROUP       Registered

MAC Address = D0-D0-D0-D0-D0-DD

where 'DONALDJTRUMP' is the label assigned to your computer.

That 'MAC' address can be traced-back to a specific manufacturer (HP or LENOVO or DELL or ... )

because each manufacturer is assigned a consecutive range of MAC-addresses.

Note that 'MAC' is an abbreviation, not an indication that a computer was made by Apple Computer.

Or, it's possible that the "agent" was simply guessing the manufacturer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.