Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp premiun desktop
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
I call my internet provider to see why mt computer was sliw and they had me reboot and run some speed test program. All fine. I went to the kitchen and when i came back tjis was on my monitor please help

Intel UNDI PXE2.0
For Atheros pcie ethernet controller
PXE E53 no boot filename received
PXE MOF existing intel pxe rom
ERROR: no boot disk hasbeen detected or the disk has failed.
2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

That message is coming from the Intel network (nic) card looking for a network boot source.  It could also mean the hard drive has failed since the network boot option should be the last choice on the boot menu.  Enter the BIOS to verify whether the hard drive is detected or not and check the boot order, too.  If the hard drive does not show on the boot menu, then it most likely has failed.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

> I call my internet provider to see why my computer was slow

The "slowness" could have been the computer "struggling" to read/write the disk-drive, i.e,. taking many attempts per file, instead of just one access per file.

Compare to a teacher trying use chalk to write onto a greasy blackboard -- it just does not work "efficiently".

>  ERROR: no boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed. 

Some of the disk-drive contains your personal files, and some contains the files necessary to load  and run Windows.

So, if those "boot-up" files cannot be read, Windows cannot start, although your personal files, on a different part of the disk-drive, might be OK.

Or, as the message says, the entire disk-drive has "failed" -- all of the files are totally unreadable.

What can you do?  It depends on your technical skills, whether you do it, or whether you take your computer to a qualified computer technician.  The steps:

* purchase a new disk-drive

* install it inside the computer

* find a copy of Windows (either the original "Installation Media", or a downloaded copy, or purchase that Installation Media from HP);

* install Windows;

* connect the "old" disk-drive as a "slave" disk-drive;

* try to read your personal files from that disk-drive, and copy them onto the new disk-drive;

* reinstall your applications (iTunes? Microsoft Office? et cetera)

Good luck!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.