Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
all-in-one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I bought a new All-In-One and I'm trying to transer all my files from my older laptop.  First I tried to use OneDrive but it filled and as soon as I clear up files from OneDrive they deleted from the hard drive.  So then I used a Pen Drive.  I transfered over about 1500 files.  Two days later I opened the folder and all but 3 were gone.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@JackTheLadJr 

Sorry no one responded in all this time, and I can only offer some suggestions -- as I have a local File Server and therefore, do not use any "cloud" solutions -- including MS OneDrive.

My guess is that you have OneDrive Sync enabled such that, even though you loaded files properly, when you then rebooted your PC, it synch'd with OneDrive, removing match files from your PC in the process.

My suggestion is that you read through this article about OneDrive (even though you may already know more than is in the article), and if there is no apparent solution, then remove OneDrive from your new PC and try the file transfer again:  https://www.pcmag.com/feature/362307/how-to-manage-sync-and-share-files-in-microsoft-onedrive

If that doesn't fit is then sorry -- as I do not use "cloud" solutions myself.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for this.  I ended up using the sledgehammer approach and just did as you suggested - removed One Drive and most of my grief was solved.  I was surprised to realize that the new computer came with the Desktop parsed.  There's a minimal about of storage available only.  So all my data had to be put in the D drive with shortcuts on the Desktop.  Took me a bit to figure it all out.  I'm no tech guy!

Thanks again.

Clint

HP Recommended

@JackTheLadJr 

Lots of the very new PCs don't even have a hard drive but have a memory stick with a controller chip on it that serves as an SSD, and some of them are very small -- often only 32GB.

Yours might have an HDD in addition to an SSD, and in that case, you WILL need to use the HDD to store your data files as the SSD will fill up rapidly with Windows Updates and the like.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.