Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Windows 8.1

I'm being asked for my laptops IP Address and the Port number associated to it. How do I fine these?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

Please see if the info at the link below is of help to you...

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/ip-address-port-number-55788.html

HP Recommended

Your local network IP you will find via openening a command prompt and executing: ipconfig /ALL

In case you are looking for your public internet IP, type in google my ip, or use one of the websites, like http://myipdoc.com/show-my-ip.php

Hope that helps ...

HP Recommended
That helped thanks, n how could I get my port number if ya don't care
HP Recommended

> I'm being asked for my laptop's IP Address and the Port number associated to it. How do I find these?

Who is asking you for that information?

That is "private" information that you should never give out.

It could be a "scammer" wanting to try to remotely "login" to your computer.

The port-number is "ephemeral" -- Windows grabs a number between 1025 and 6335, and uses that for a while, during the lifetime of a single TCP/IP connection.  When the connection is closed, the port-number is "discarded".  The next connection to open will grab a different number.

Your IP-address depends on how you get an Internet connection:

* if you have an Ethernet cable between your computer and the ISP's cable-modem (or DSL-modem),

your IP-address is assigned by your ISP (Internet Service Provider) as a "public" IP-address;

* if you have a wireless connection to your own router, or to the ISP's modem-router combination box, your IP-address is assigned by that device, as a "private" IP-address;

* if you are on a "corporate" network, it's probable that your IP-address is assigned by your local system-administrator; again, a "private" IP-address.

If you want to see your "public" IP-address, access  www.who.is   and read the line just below the data-entry box.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.