Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

HP Cloud Recovery is great...when it works. When it doesn't, it renders USB Drives unusable. This has happened more than once on both new and old Flash Drives. The failure looks like this:

• Insert USB Drive
  • Run Cloud Recovery
  • Select options - in my case I'm always choosing Win 10 Pro, OS and Drivers, SNs and models are confirmed
  • During the Download process, the status bar will turn red and freeze indefinitely
  • Cannot eject drive properly as it no longer displays as a drive

After that, the failed drive exhibits the following behavior:

• Is not seen in the System Tray
  • Is not seen in File Explorer
  • Is not seen in Disk Management
  • Is seen in Control Panel\Devices - i.e. Cruiser Glide
  • Is seen in Device Manager as USB Mass Storage

Any advice on recovering my failed drives would be greatly appreciated, as would development efforts to address this random failure.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Crosscheck 

Welcome to the HP Forum.

I don't know why the flash drive gets corrupted.

But you should be able to recover the drive using the free version of Macrorit Partition Expert.

Try deleting the volume. Commit the action.

Then try a reformat. Again, commit this action.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, there is no volume information to delete or format. The device itself is the only thing which Windows can see. There is no information regarding volume, format, size, etc. Again, nothing can be found about the drive in Disk Management, File Explorer, or System Tray. MPE sees nothing either.

HP Recommended

Hi @Crosscheck 

I have had similar situations.

Macrorit free detected the corrupted USB flash drive.

I was then able to delete the corrupted volume and reformat the drive using Fat32.

I guess the HP Cloud Recovery process cooked the USB stick beyond repair.

Regards

HP Recommended

Oh I gotcha. Well thanks anyway for trying. Much appreciated!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.