Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion HPE h8-1017c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am wondering if the HP Pavilion HPE h8-1017c Desktop PC  sold by Sam's can be upgraded.  Can I upgrade the memory to 16 GB.  It cam with 8 GB. 

I get mixed feedback when I search on the HP support site.  The specification say it only supports 8 GB (2x4 GB)

Single channel memory architecture

• Two 240-pin DDR3 DIMM sockets
  • Supports the following:
    • PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)
    • PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
  • Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
  • Supports 1 GB, 2 GB, and 4 GB DIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit* systems
  • Supports up to 8 GB on 64-bit systems

the HP servicing guide for the HP Pavilion HPE h8-1000 Series PC says it takes:

Verify that the memory installed is compatible with this computer. SO-DIMMs are small outline dual inline memory modules. They are smaller and thinner than
most other DIMMs, so that they take less space in the case. SO-DIMM modules must meet the following requirements:

● 204-pin DDR3-DIMM

● PC3-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3-SDRAM

● Unbuffered, non-ECC (64-bit) DIMMs

● 1.5 V memory only

● 16.0 GB maximum installable memory using 4GB Modules. Actual available memory that can be used in Windows will be less.

I looks like it has the 240 pin DIMM sockets.

Can i install 2x8 GB DIMMs ?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

>>> Can i install 2x8 GB DIMMs ?

Hi,

Looks like it only supports 8GB max

http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/pavilion-hpe-h8-1017c

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

> 16.0 GB maximum installable memory using 4GB Modules. 

That implies that one MUST use FOUR 4GB modules.

> Can i install 2x8 GB DIMMs ?

Yes, but my guess is that only 4GB per stick will be recognized by the motherboard, giving you 8GB.

Good to know in an "emergency", but a waste of RAM sticks.

Compare to buying a Ferrari for "soccer-mom" only to take the children a few kilometers to school -- a waste of a purchase.

Not all motherboards support all "density" of RAM (amount of RAM divided by number of memory-chips on the stick).

HP Recommended

Hi, @L68stingray :

I wish I could find some concrete info on the memory limits for the H61 chipset.

I have a HP 8200 Elite CMT with the Intel Q67 chipset, and I can install 4 x 8 GB of memory in mine for a total of 32 GB.

The motherboard shown on the support page for your PC has two memory slots.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-HPE-h8-1000-Desktop-PC-series/5080764/model/5110093/...

If you look around at other brand motherboards with the H61 chipset, such as this one, the specs state you can install an 8 GB module in each slot.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/parts/Motherboard/Asus-P8H61-I-REV-3-0-8290

So, I would say in theory you can install 2 x 8 GB of PC3-10600 memory in your PC, and it should work (16 GB).

HP Recommended

From: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c02831611

Memory upgrade information

• Single channel memory architecture

• Two 240-pin DDR3 DIMM sockets

• Supports the following:

• PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)

• PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)

• Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered

• Supports 1 GB, 2 GB, and 4 GB DIMMs

• Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit* systems

• Supports up to 8 GB on 64-bit systems

Release date: 16-May-2011

for this "Carmel" motherboard.

Question: Bill Gates once said that 640 KB (not MB) was enough for everybody.

The computer came with 8GB -- have you determined that 8GB is "not enough" for your application(s) ?

It's quite an "ancient" motherboard (without dual-channel support) -- how much money do you want to "invest" into it?

HP Recommended

Thanks to everyone.  Still undesided if I want to upgrade the memory or just by a newer PC with 16 GB

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

> Still undecided if I want to upgrade the memory or just buy a newer PC with 16 GB

First, have you measured how much of your current 8GB of RAM that your computer currently is using?

One possible answer is "you are not using all of what you have -- why spend ANY money for "excess" memory?".

Second, as you are "measuring", where is the current "bottle-neck": RAM, CPU-speed, disk-drive speed ?

If your CPU is the bottle-neck, then more RAM does not fix the bottle-neck.

Third, adding a SSD ("solid state disk") and installing Windows on it will make your disk I/O much faster -- faster booting into Windows, faster loading of programs into RAM.  Keep your current disk-drive as a "slave", and continue to store your data/files onto this disk-drive.

Finally, if you do buy a new computer, you'll spend a lot more than if you just buy more RAM.  How rich are you?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.