Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 600 G2 Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I run Recovery Media Creation Utility, get  'We are experiencing errors in recovery media creation.  Please try again'.

Attempting to use a 32gb flash drive, which works and has no problems per Windows 10 scan.  No matter how often I try, get the same error.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Jedrick

I have used MR for backups and restores for years and have probably done over a hundred operations across more than 20 different PCs -- and never had it fail me once.

It's up to you WHAT to use, but risking not being able to recover your PC because you will not use a FREE well-known and trusted solution, but instead, prefer to wait (indefinitely) on HP maybe fixing it?

Your PC -- your choice.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Jedrick

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I personally prefer to use third-party Recovery solutions as they tend to be both more flexible and more reliable than any built-in solutions.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 10 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.

Plus, MR has the option to Add a Recovery Boot Menu entry. This allows you then to boot into WinRE, and you can then use that to do a restore -- when you can't boot into Windows!

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

Good Luck

HP Recommended

Thanks, but I prefer to avoid 3Someone rd-party software.  I have enough problems with vanilla Windows and HP stuff.  Someone at HP should test their stuff before release and investigate reported problems.

HP Recommended

Was just about to complain here about exactly the same issue but on my 10th or so attempt Recovery Media via USB has been ultimately created.

What I did differently this time (and I restarted Windows few times as well as disabled / closed some background tasks / programs before) was that I used USB 2.0 port instead of USB 3.0 (which my Kingston also supports).

Not sure if that's relevant but I thought I would share.

HP Recommended

@Jedrick

I have used MR for backups and restores for years and have probably done over a hundred operations across more than 20 different PCs -- and never had it fail me once.

It's up to you WHAT to use, but risking not being able to recover your PC because you will not use a FREE well-known and trusted solution, but instead, prefer to wait (indefinitely) on HP maybe fixing it?

Your PC -- your choice.

HP Recommended

@WAWood wrote:

@Jedrick

Your PC -- your choice.

I'm not exactly sure what you meant there but I can say that Recovery Media I created (as per above) just have been successfully tested - to ensure that any potential restore process in the future will work.

And a quick one: There is an option in HP Recovery Manager to remove rescue partion to free up some space. Can somebody confirm that it's the rescue partion on OS drive only (I have SSD OS and Data HDD - but there's also some recovery partiotion there either)?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.