Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Z800
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

HP Z800 refreshed win 7 pro 64 ... windows updates not completing...

Newly installed OS - everything seems to work fine, except for the endless hang at WIndows update...Checking for updates. This apparently affects the update to Windows 10 as well. Does anyone have any insights? I have tried all the help options via MS website. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Please read this.

You can wait patiently (updates will eventually appear) or there is a fix in the article.

You will have to reinstall Windows for the fix. Your PC must be isolated from the network when reinstalling windows. You have to download two updates and install them before connecting your PC to the network.

I have used Ed Bott's fix and it works. But I reinstalled Win 7 again. I was not going to wait for hours and hours to get security updates.

You could try installing those updates on the problematic Win 7 installation:

1. Apply the Microsoft fix found here. Disconnect from the network.

2. Install those two updates offline and cross your fingers.

3. Try Windows Update again.

Cheers!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Please read this.

You can wait patiently (updates will eventually appear) or there is a fix in the article.

You will have to reinstall Windows for the fix. Your PC must be isolated from the network when reinstalling windows. You have to download two updates and install them before connecting your PC to the network.

I have used Ed Bott's fix and it works. But I reinstalled Win 7 again. I was not going to wait for hours and hours to get security updates.

You could try installing those updates on the problematic Win 7 installation:

1. Apply the Microsoft fix found here. Disconnect from the network.

2. Install those two updates offline and cross your fingers.

3. Try Windows Update again.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

thank you / I will apply your suggests through today and the weekend. I will report my results to this thread.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You are welcome.

Sounds good!

Jay

HP Recommended

Jay101,

The process you sent me  via this link...

http://www.zdnet.com/article/sticking-with-windows-7-the-forecast-calls-for-pain/#ftag=RSSbaffb68

Worked.

The System Z800, WIN 7 Pro 64 bit is now fully updated, and properly cloned.

Thank you very very very much. windows 7 64 bit pro updated.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.