Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have received a phone call twice - from 707-506-6969 saying they are from HP & that my husband downloaded some software to fix a crashing issue (he did about a year ago from HP) - they state the software has not been working & want to refund $119.99 & give him a link to download the corrected software.

To get the refund they wanted me to go to https://teamviewer.com & download the free app & connect to their server for the refund & new software.  Made me nervous.

I asked that the information be emailed to us instead.  We have not gotten the email.

[personal information removed]

How do I determine if the information is legitimate or not?

Thanks,

Lisa

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Lisa_R

Please ignore this at all cost and do NOT allow anyone to access your machine remotely UNLESS you request for.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

> I have received a phone call twice - from 707-506-6969

Caller-ID information is easily "spoofed", especially when the caller is using VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) to place the call.

Always do a Google-search for the telephone-number, to see what other call-recipients have said.

> saying they are from HP

Liars!

> that my husband downloaded some software to fix a crashing issue (he did about a year ago from HP) -

He could have been misled, a year go, i.e,. it was not HP who called, and any money you sent was never received by HP.

> they state the software has not been working & want to refund $119.99 & give him a link to download the corrected software.

Nice touch -- "bribing" you in order to make them seem legitimate.  Scammer!

> To get the refund they wanted me to go to https://teamviewer.com & download the free app

> & connect to their server for the refund & new software.  Made me nervous.

You definitely should be VERY nervous. 

TeamViewer is one instance of software that has legitimate uses, namely to surrender total control of your computer to your daughter taking Computer Science at University, so that she can help you.

But, after you connect to this scammer's server, they are in control of your computer.

They can view your files (credit-card information? online banking information? everything!) and they can install malicious software, and set passwords onto your computer.  Of course, they will charge you to give you the password(s) that they have set.

> we have not gotten the E-mail.

You probably never will.  The scammer has "moved-on" to somebody more gullible than you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.