Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi All:  I want to upgrade my ENVY 700-215xt, which uses the Memphis-B mother board, to use a better video card. Can this motherboard / PC support a dual slot video card such as PNY GeForce GTX 1060 (http://www.pny.com/geforce-gtx-1060). I realize it uses one PCI-e slot which it has I was more worried about the space. There is a heat sink or some electronic componet south of the pci e which might get in the way (see below) . I already upgraded the power supply.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@dougyb, welcome to the forum.

You can check the fit of the card by measuring from the Back I/O ports to the front of the case.  This will give you a good idea if there is enough space for the length.  Also, you can measure the width at the fins.  I don't believe that you will have any problems.  There is normally plenty of room.  I have never seen any reports that any of the parts on the motherboard interferred with the fit of a video card.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@dougyb, welcome to the forum.

You can check the fit of the card by measuring from the Back I/O ports to the front of the case.  This will give you a good idea if there is enough space for the length.  Also, you can measure the width at the fins.  I don't believe that you will have any problems.  There is normally plenty of room.  I have never seen any reports that any of the parts on the motherboard interferred with the fit of a video card.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thanks

HP Recommended

From the 3rd picture on the web-site that you cited, the video-card has two "spines".

Those two spines will line-up with your "long" PCI-E slot and the nearest "short" PCI-E slot.

Most of the video-card will sit on "top" of the "long" PCI-E slot, but a small part of it may locate on "top" of the "short" PCI-E slot -- but definitely not extending far-enough to touch that aluminum heat-sink.

Short answer: it will fit.

P.S. Amazing video-card, if the tag '6144 MB GDDR5' on that web-site is to be believed -- 6 GB of high-speed RAM.

Definitely a need to have those 2 cooling-fans.  Do you have another "fan" on the back-panel of your case?

It would be good to have, to pull out all the warm air.

HP Recommended

There's a fan on the back of the pc. The video card comes bundled with the HTC Vive 🙂 both shipped and on way (didn't want to drop a grand and then not have the **bleep** card fit). Thanks for piece of mind!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.