Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HPG5220nl
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Dear readers,

I have a crashed windows 7 operating system.

I was able to backup my files with the recovery assistent, but the operating system does not start anymore.

Is it possible to restore the backed up files on a computer with an other operating system then the original windows 7?

I would like to restore on a system with windows 10.

With kind regards,

Rolf

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Rolf2

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Unfortunately, you're mixing all different kinds of situations, so the answer is complicated ...

First of all, there are different backups you can make using HP Recovery Manager.  IF you do a full backup, you can use that to restore a working version of your PC. But if all you did was backup files and folders, you can not use that to do a full system restore because stuff that is needed is not there.

The built-in HP Recovery function is designed to restore the ORIGINAL state of the PC, when it is done using the Recovery partition.  So, if you Upgrade the OS to something different than what came with the PC, the Restore will return the OS to the original one.

Also, once you Upgrade a PC from its original OS, the HP Recovery function is most likely NOT going to work anymore, as the Win10 Upgrade is known to corrupt the HP Recovery information.

So, if you have a full set of Recover Media, you can use that to restore your PC -- but not to Win10.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

>  the operating system does not start anymore.

Is the disk-drive otherwise OK, i.e., still spinning, and still holding your files ?

If so:

1. buy a new disk-drive;

2. on another computer, download Windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

and copy to one "bootable" 16GB USB memory-stick, or several DVD-recordable disks

3. remove the old disk-drive from your computer;

4. connect the new disk-drive;

5. install Windows 10 onto the new computer;

6. reconnect the current disk-drive as a "slave" disk-drive, and copy all your files (bookmarks, documents, pictures, music) from "old" to "new";

7. reinstall your anti-virus software;

8. reinstall your applications (MS Office? iTunes? Audaity? The Gimp?)9. run Windows Update

Now, you have a brand-new in-warranty disk-drive, a working copy of Windows 10, and, hopefully, all your personal files.

OR ............................  if you have another HP computer running Windows 7:

1. in "Control Panel", "add" another user account;

2. logout from the current account, and login to the new account;

3. connect the backup drive;

4. try to restore from the backup into the current account;

5. use "drag-and-drop" to copy all the "restored" folders onto the backup drive (or onto a USB memory-stick)

6. on your computer, install Windows 10.

7. use "drag-and-drop" to copy from the memory-stick onto your computer.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.