Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Slimline s5370t
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I made 3 recovery CDs back when i first bought this computer. I want to install a new drive on the computer so i installed the new drive and now i am running CD1. I get Windows is Loading..... Windows splash screen....and a blue screen that has an hourglass pointer..REPEAT. Been like this for 30+minutes, dont think this is going to work.

My question is this, maybe i had a bad CD, who knows. If not, do i need to format the drive first? I know Windows does this when you first install. Or do i need to partition the drive? I know HP recovery wants to put the image on a hidden partition so maybe that is it? Possible the CDs work if the original drive crash, but doesnt work if i install a new drive.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@auxiliary1

Is the new drive the same capacity as the old drive? If it is larger, that is OK, but if it is smaller, than can cause problems in the restore.

Also, the restore reformats the drive automatically, so there is no prep you have to do.

Have you tried doing a memory test? If not, press Esc repeatedly while rebooting, and once the HP utilities menu comes up, press F2 to run diagnostics.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.