Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart 23 -K027 All In One Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Malware popped up on my screen stating a World Wide Crash ... With verbal 'looping ' instructions to call # XXXXXX.  I checked my McAfee Total Protection an found all was Secure  ( how did this get past my security ?).  Something similar has happened to me in the past when i had Norton Security. 

I coundn't delete the screen or the looping instructions.  

*I did a reboot / recovery and the problem is gone.  

Now onto my current problem which is why I am on this forum.   After the rocovery was complete and updates added  'my sound was eliminated'.  I've been through the sound trouble shooting - which does not detect a problem . 

The last time this happened someone gave me info on a patch ( i did not save it ).  Is there a connection / patch i can type in that will install / recover the sound ?

12/26/17

GMC2002

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Please read: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Audio/IDt-IDT-Audio-Device-download/m-p/6070813

where top-level expert Paul T. gives a hyperlink to the IDT device-driver that you need.

-----------

Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

> ( how did this get past my security ?)

It was a malicious web-page, using JavaScript inside your web-browser, that your anti-virus did not detect.

If you had opened the Windows Task Manager, and used the "Applications" tab to terminate all the instances of the web-browser, it would have stopped.  As you found out, quickly rebooting, and NOT allowing your web-browser to reload the previous web-pages, also should work.

Are you sure that your computer's audio volume has not been set to zero?

Speakers turned off?

Nothing plugged-in to the "headphone-output" jack?

Did you completely power-off your computer, and then restart it?

Open the Windows Device Manager.

Expand the "Sound" branch of the tree.

Any "tags", such as a yellow-triangle, attached to the audio device?

HP Recommended

> ... last time ...

See: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/2853241

for a listing all the postings that you have made to this forum.

One of them has a response from Paul T. that seems to have worked for you.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your quick response!  

I had not shut down my computer after the 'Restore ' was completed as it it brought me back to my logon screen.  After you questioned that i did shut it down and restart.   NO difference .  I then went to the Device Manager and onto the tree, then down to Sound.  I do have a Yellow Triangle.  Once i open to sound it instructed me to 'Reinstall the sound driver .... and showed a (Code 18 ).   I started the reinstallation but it wasn't long until i quit and stated - Windows encounterd a problem installing he driver.   

IDT High Def. Audio CODES

I do not have external speakers or headphones ....just the internal factory speakers.

HP Recommended

Please read: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Audio/IDt-IDT-Audio-Device-download/m-p/6070813

where top-level expert Paul T. gives a hyperlink to the IDT device-driver that you need.

-----------

Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

HP Recommended

A Huge  'Thank You'  to MD Klassen and Paul Tikkanen

I clicked on the  'sp71717.exe'  and then installed.  * I do believe this is the file I've used in the past to resolve the same problem.  I've copied and written down the information this time around.

Note:  Once the installation was well on its way ..... it told me that this file was already in my compurter.  Next,  I was prompted  - did i want to overide Yes, Yes All,  No, etc.   I selected  'Yes All'  and the program went forward .  Once  installed the computer does a 'RESTART' on its own.   (((  Do not turn your computer off ))).

After the restart was done I logged back on and   WOW , GREAT, YES ,  I have Sound Again.

Regards,

GMC2002

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.