Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
I just bought this 2 days ago. The only changes I've made are recommended upgrades by HP, Windows, and installed Vipre. After uninstalling McAfee, I restarted, as required--except it's been stuck in "Restarting" for 3 hours. I read reviews on this machine after I bought it, and am wondering should I just take it back?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Geoli

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Slimline Desktop - 260-a010 and it is stuck during a restart for a long time.

Before you install any other antivirus, the previous one must be uninstalled. After installing the new antivirus, and then if you uninstall the old antivirus can create an issue.

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Please press the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys on the keyboard to open the task manager. 
  • If the task manager opens, then end the processes in it.
  • If the task manager dos not work then the only option is to press and hold the power button of the PC until it powers off completely. 
  • Later, please restart the PC and check the performance. 

If the PC continues to be slow or freeze during a shutdown then I suggest running a hardware diagnostic check for the PC.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Feel free to let me know how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Geoli

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Slimline Desktop - 260-a010 and it is stuck during a restart for a long time.

Before you install any other antivirus, the previous one must be uninstalled. After installing the new antivirus, and then if you uninstall the old antivirus can create an issue.

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Please press the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys on the keyboard to open the task manager. 
  • If the task manager opens, then end the processes in it.
  • If the task manager dos not work then the only option is to press and hold the power button of the PC until it powers off completely. 
  • Later, please restart the PC and check the performance. 

If the PC continues to be slow or freeze during a shutdown then I suggest running a hardware diagnostic check for the PC.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Feel free to let me know how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

I finally powered down with the button on the tower. Possibly the removal of McAfee after installing Vipre caused the problem. Regarding the "check performance," what do you mean?

HP Recommended

@Geoli

Thank you for your reply. 🙂

I request you to check the performance after your PC boots into Windows after the restarts. Please open any applications or try surfing the internet and check if everything works smoothly or of the PC freezes.  

Keep me posted for any help. Cheers!

HP Recommended
Everything seems to working. Posting to other boards with other questions. Thank you.
HP Recommended

@Geoli

You're welcome. 🙂

I'm glad to know that the PC is working fine. Feel free to let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

All the best! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.