Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 750-175se
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on my HP Envy desktop. I installed it myself, everything went fine. However, now when I'm setting up Windows (on the screen where it says "Choose a user name for your account and name your computer to distinguish it on the network"), the keyboard nor the mouse work.

The mouse's light on the bottom is on and both work before I boot into Windows (ie. the BIOS) and both are plugged into USB 2.0 ports. I have tried the different USB ports around the system, but that hasn't worked at this point (even though both the mouse and the keyboard worked during the earlier points of the install before the restart brought me to this screen). I have tried disabling Legacy Support in the BIOS, but that just returns an error saying "Boot Device Not Found." I have tried another keyboard which I know works on other systems, no difference here. I've researched online that some users recommend using a PS/2 keyboard, but there's no port for one on this machine. I'm literally steps from getting into my operating system, but none of the USB devices work. I've also seen suggestions about disabling EHCI or XCHI Pre-Boot Driver settings in the BIOS but I can't even find those on this BIOS. Does anyone know if maybe I'm missing a BIOS setting that could help me here or something? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is what I believe the problem is...

Intel removed USB 2.0 chipset support from the Skylake chipset. 

This means that that normal USB or DVD installs for windows 7 will not work.   

The Microsoft Windows 7 ISO doesn't have the native USB 3.0 drivers either.  

So you have to add the USB 3.0 drivers into the Windows ISO.    Intel came through on this one.  They have a utility that does all the work for you.  

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

Run the above utility and point to your USB Installation media and windows 7 should install.

There is a readme on the above link for instructions on how to convert your DVD into a bootable usb installation flash drive.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is what I believe the problem is...

Intel removed USB 2.0 chipset support from the Skylake chipset. 

This means that that normal USB or DVD installs for windows 7 will not work.   

The Microsoft Windows 7 ISO doesn't have the native USB 3.0 drivers either.  

So you have to add the USB 3.0 drivers into the Windows ISO.    Intel came through on this one.  They have a utility that does all the work for you.  

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

Run the above utility and point to your USB Installation media and windows 7 should install.

There is a readme on the above link for instructions on how to convert your DVD into a bootable usb installation flash drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.