Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-490
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I installed 2x8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 dimms, 8Gbyte on each slot on my window7 64 bit Professional.

It is showing only 8Gbyte, and bios showing one slot enabled. I can not change the bios to make it 2 slots. Both memory modules tested individually as 8 Gbyte OK.

PC manual indicates I can use  up to 16Gbyte memory.

Thank you for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@RASEM

I would like to take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. I understand from your post that you have an HP Pavilion Desktop - 500-490 and upgraded the memory to  2x8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 and the PC recognizes only 8GB memory. There seems to be one slot enabled in BIOS and you are unable the other memory slot. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I did some research and found that the memory slot on the motherboard should auto detect when the memory is inserted. There is no option available in BIOS to enable to the memory slot. These slots should always be active be the default. It indicates a defective memory slot. I suggest you reach out to HP phone support to explore the hardware service options for your PC. 

You may reach phone support by filling out an online form on www.hp.com/contacthp.

Let me know if you have any questions. Cheers! 🙂

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@RASEM

I would like to take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. I understand from your post that you have an HP Pavilion Desktop - 500-490 and upgraded the memory to  2x8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 and the PC recognizes only 8GB memory. There seems to be one slot enabled in BIOS and you are unable the other memory slot. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I did some research and found that the memory slot on the motherboard should auto detect when the memory is inserted. There is no option available in BIOS to enable to the memory slot. These slots should always be active be the default. It indicates a defective memory slot. I suggest you reach out to HP phone support to explore the hardware service options for your PC. 

You may reach phone support by filling out an online form on www.hp.com/contacthp.

Let me know if you have any questions. Cheers! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.