Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion p6120sc
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

Dear HP Experts, the Vista operating system in my Pavilion p6120sc must be upgraded to Windows 7. The compatibility test by Microsoft told that the current driver of my NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet is not valid in Windows 7. Hence, I was adviced to download the newest driver for that device in advance; but its installation should be done only after the installation of Windows 7.  

Problem 1: What is the correct driver for NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet (i.e., valid in Windows 7), and where can I download it safely from (without viruses etc.)?  - I did extensive googling but could not find any answer that I could understand. 

Problem 2: The compatibility test also adviced me to uninstall Hårdvarudiagnostikverktyg version 5.1.5144.16 (PC-Doctor, Inc.) before upgrading the PC to Windows 7. However, I could not find any such program in my PC! Hence, how could I uninstall it properly? (Is that program perhaps somehow hidden in the HP service package that performs the Full Operation Test of my PC once in each month? Furthermore, would the HP test package function any more if that particular program were eliminated?)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You should install that chipset driver prior to upgrading to W7, if you are doing an 'in place' upgrade, since the driver is good for both W7 and Vista.

If you are doing a clean (custom) upgrade (not keeping any files, programs or settings), then you would install that driver after you upgrade to W7.

All that driver will do is to update the drivers for the motherboard and ethernet (the devices listed on the driver file page).

Ethernet Driver (v73.14+) WHQL Network Management Tools (v73.16) "Sedona" SATA IDE Driver (v11.1.0.33) WHQL SATA RAID Driver (v11.1.0.33) WHQL RAIDTOOL Application (v11.1.0.30) SMBUS Driver (v4.74) WHQL SMU Driver (v1.71) WHQL GPU Driver (v190.38) WHQL Physx (v9.09.0428) Away Mode Driver (v6.0.6000.114) WHQL Installer (v7.57).

It should not cause any device to quit working.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

You need to install the latest nvidia chipset driver from the link below and restart the PC.

That will also update the ethernet controller driver so you can upgrade to W7.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/14875/en-us

As for the second issue, unfortunately I don't know what that is.

It could be what you said it might be.

There is a new program that is called the HP support assistant, which might do the same thing.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html#.Vy3_qeT2bGg

HP Recommended

Thank you very  much for your rapid answer. In order to be sure of understanding the process adequately before starting the changes I still need  specify my question a little. Namely, regarding NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet, Microsoft adviced me to download and record the newest driver before W7 upgrade but to install the driver just after  the W7 upgrading has been made. Is there any real reason for their proposed order, what do you think?

However, according to your advice  (if I understand it right), the ethernet controller driver would be updated before  W7 upgrade. Can I be sure that the (updated) ethernet controller is still functioning OK before and during the W7 upgrade process; especially so that there is no danger of losing contact to/control of my PC during the process? (I do not know anything about the functions of ethernet).

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You should install that chipset driver prior to upgrading to W7, if you are doing an 'in place' upgrade, since the driver is good for both W7 and Vista.

If you are doing a clean (custom) upgrade (not keeping any files, programs or settings), then you would install that driver after you upgrade to W7.

All that driver will do is to update the drivers for the motherboard and ethernet (the devices listed on the driver file page).

Ethernet Driver (v73.14+) WHQL Network Management Tools (v73.16) "Sedona" SATA IDE Driver (v11.1.0.33) WHQL SATA RAID Driver (v11.1.0.33) WHQL RAIDTOOL Application (v11.1.0.30) SMBUS Driver (v4.74) WHQL SMU Driver (v1.71) WHQL GPU Driver (v190.38) WHQL Physx (v9.09.0428) Away Mode Driver (v6.0.6000.114) WHQL Installer (v7.57).

It should not cause any device to quit working.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.