Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion s5220f
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I upgraded to Windows 10 and now can't use the cd/dvd player to play or burn because HP does not have the updates I need to fix this. HP doesn't offer System Recovery on this older computer (6 years old). I've tried to download Windows 7  from Microsoft but when I enter the product key # from the original Windows 7 that was on this computer I'm told to contact HP for this pre-installed version. How can I get my original Windows 7 back, it's been more than the 28 days that Microsoft allows to re-install.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes...if the Microsoft person didn't try that.

There are no special drivers needed for DVD drives. 

The CD/DVD drivers have been included with all versions of windows since Windows 2000 came out.

So there are never any DVD drivers on any PC's support page.

The W10 driver listed from Microsoft on my HP blue ray player is from June 21, 2006 for example...long before W10 was even heard of.

I did not have to do a thing for it to work.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Assuming the Recovery Partition is no longer in place, order the Recovery Kit from COMPUTER SURGEONS for a nominal fee of $27.00

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi, @Sputnik96 :

If the DVD drive you have is just the standard one that came with your PC and it is not showing up in Windows, try the steps listed in Resolution #4 from the link below to see if that gets the DVD drive to show up and work again.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314060

HP Recommended

One of the Microsoft Tech people took remote control of my computer and tried everything that he could think of.  He told me that the driver software needs updates from HP. On this computer HP doesn't offer updates now. Should I still try this?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes...if the Microsoft person didn't try that.

There are no special drivers needed for DVD drives. 

The CD/DVD drivers have been included with all versions of windows since Windows 2000 came out.

So there are never any DVD drivers on any PC's support page.

The W10 driver listed from Microsoft on my HP blue ray player is from June 21, 2006 for example...long before W10 was even heard of.

I did not have to do a thing for it to work.

HP Recommended

That worked absolutely flawlessly. The Microsoft Tech did not try that and if anything would have gone wrong there, I would have been lost. Thank You sooooo much. Now my Windows 10 upgrade seems to be all there and working!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

Your link doesn'tshow a "Resolution #5".

HP Recommended

Apparently Microsoft updated the link from the time I posted it, and now there are only 4 resolutions.

Resolution 2 used to be an automated fix it tool, which they removed.

...and its not my link.  It's Microsoft's.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.